Honestly, how good or bad is the Digitech RP1000?

NaturalBornBoy

I'm looking for a good sounding modelling unit to go direct to a console for gigs.

I know it's not on the Helix and AX-8 level but it is also much less expensive.

Any of you have experience with the 1000?

The effects are decent. The modelling, not so much. The clean models are good,The Mark IV was the only model I liked for distortion. I thought the Zoom G5 sounded better.

It's ok. It DOES work well in the 4CM with a tube amp. The reverbs and delays are good, the modulations are egh. It's limited as far as moving effects around, some you can place place in a post/pre amp position, some you can't. If you can get one for $200 it's worth checking out. I wouldn't pay much more than that.

The 5150 model kills. It's a great unit, if you ask me.. FX are so-so, but there's some good models in there to be had for a cheap price. Hell, I ran one with a stereo power amp for awhile, sounded pretty damn good!

Dont know about the 1000 but I have an old GNX3 that has some killer tones lurking in it. I have used it straight to the board with good results.

They have some decent high gain tones, but if you're use to the feel or dynamics of a tube amp, they're disappointing

Since I became a stay-at-home dad, I don't gig full-time anymore so I'm not looking for something expensive like the AX-8 or Helix.

I just want something with good Marshall sims that still sound good direct to console.

I like that I can set up the 1000 to have preset switches and IA switches. Love that. And from the video demos I've watched, I think that they sound better than the Zoom and Boss stuff.

Don't mean to hijack, but what would be a good unit to start with using the 4cm? Been wanting to try it, and should have an amp with an effects loop this week.

mchn13":2nonzeb6 said:
Don't mean to hijack, but what would be a good unit to start with using the 4cm? Been wanting to try it, and should have an amp with an effects loop this week.

RP1000 is the best at 4CM in the under $500 category.

Man it seems you can get a great sound out of anything these days. Guys on youtube get great sounds out of the damnedest gear. I think it's all in the way you use it. For me, I simply just get ear fatigue from less than stellar sounding gear, but most people aren't bothered one bit. If you play around with something long enough, you're going to find a good sound I think. The hardest part for me is finding a way to translate that sound into a recording. With that digital stuff, you can go directly to the computer. I'd suggest getting a Zoom instead if you're not fully pleased with the RP.

IndyWS6":2jdnksoi said:
Spend just a little more and get a used Eleven Rack...

The Eleven Rack sucks in my opinion. At least the RP can stand on its own. Eleven Rack needs that shitty Avid Pro Tools software which doesn't install right half of the time. The Eleven Rack has a shitty feel, like you're playing through a cheap computer interface. After Eleven Rack had been out for more than a year, they didn't respond to customer demands for certain necessary improvements and features. They have shitty, uncaring, unresponsive service and their product sucks. Sorry, but I wouldn't in good conscience recommend one to anybody.

SavageRiffer":78awt9v0 said:
IndyWS6":78awt9v0 said:
Spend just a little more and get a used Eleven Rack...

The Eleven Rack sucks in my opinion. At least the RP can stand on its own. Eleven Rack needs that shitty Avid Pro Tools software which doesn't install right half of the time. The Eleven Rack has a shitty feel, like you're playing through a cheap computer interface. After Eleven Rack had been out for more than a year, they didn't respond to customer demands for certain necessary improvements and features. They have shitty, uncaring, unresponsive service and their product sucks. Sorry, but I wouldn't in good conscience recommend one to anybody.
Disagree - pretty much completely. I have two; one in my live rig and one in my recording desk. It interfaces to Pro tools very well and I have had no issues with Pro Tools (currently using PT 12.x on a Windows workstation). Eleven Rack also has a stand-alone editor that's free and has been available for more than two years that eliminates the need for a Pro Tools installation.

Could Avid be more responsive? Sure. Could they support the Eleven Rack better? Sure. But it's a solid unit with a plethora of connections options that, tweaked correctly, sounds damn good. Plus, it has solid effects on board. It's not an Axe, but considering what they go for used, it's a solid recommendation; especially when compared to the other units mentioned in this thread.

Just my opinion. Yours obviously differs...

I am considering grabbing one for 150 euros to record direct using the power section of my mark III + the torpedo CAB or use it for the effects. I won't bother using the stock IRs. What's ur opinion guyz?

napalmdeath":1e2ipeb5 said:
The 5150 model kills. It's a great unit, if you ask me.. FX are so-so, but there's some good models in there to be had for a cheap price. Hell, I ran one with a stereo power amp for awhile, sounded pretty damn good!

Yep, the 5150 model is worth the price of admission.

Back