How are you guys using fuzz pedals?

I edited my post to include a link ......

I was actually going to do a run of these .... I have a schematic for it ..... cause they want just under 400 bucks for one ...

I could probably do them for half that ... maybe a bit more ...

A self contained, pickup-emulating transformer sounds like the coolest thing in fuzz pedals since some other company added a self-regulating heater system that will temporarily turn on inside the pedal when it senses the interior is too cold, in order to keep the germanium diodes up to the right temperature, otherwise they won't sound their best, lol. The funny thing is that a "pedal heater system" sounds like complete snake oil, but it's not. They tested it on That Pedal Show and it actually worked.

Man, good sounding fuzz pedals are the most temperamental bitches I swear.

A self contained, pickup-emulating transformer sounds like the coolest thing in fuzz pedals since some other company added a self-regulating heater system that will temporarily turn on inside the pedal when it senses the interior is too cold, in order to keep the germanium diodes up to the right temperature, otherwise they won't sound their best, lol. The funny thing is that a "pedal heater system" sounds like complete snake oil, but it's not. They tested it on That Pedal Show and it actually worked.

Man, good sounding fuzz pedals are the most temperamental bitches I swear.
yeah .... Germanium transistors do not like heat at all ........

I've built several Germanium Fuzz Face clones ..... a bunch of Tone Benders too ...

also my share of silicon variants ..... they all needed " that special set up " to get to that magical sounding point ...

when you get them dialed they are just plain awesome .... but I found you always have to give up a part of your regular sound to use them

The guys that tend to make these sound the best to me are those old school one channel amp guys that use the Volume on the guitar to manipulate their tone
That’s me.
Single channel amp, single P90 and guitar volune knob.
JTM45 clone and Fryette PS2A

yeah .... Germanium transistors do not like heat at all ........

Hah I really don't know much about germanium diode operational temperatures at all. Maybe the heater was put there for when the pedal is outside in super cold temperatures or something.

I'm not, I hate fuzz tones, and I can't stand how finnicky they are, haha

The best results ive gotten with that specific style of fuzz pedal is through a dirty amp, riding the volume, with no other pedals, though.

I would try it with no wah, if not no other pedals at all, with the fuzz first in your chain to start out.

Unfortunately with life not much time this eve, but tomorrow out of work by lunch.
Game on!
like mentioned by the other guys .... try different orders ... try just the fuzz ... etc ... but I think you'd like a Germanium one a lot more ... especially with that " Old school type " setup you got going on ??
Curious .... what guitar ??? and what P90's are you rocking ??

like mentioned by the other guys .... try different orders ... try just the fuzz ... etc ... but I think you'd like a Germanium one a lot more ... especially with that " Old school type " setup you got going on ??
Curious .... what guitar ??? and what P90's are you rocking ??
MJT tele with 2011 Fender American standard neck and Fralin Steel Pole 43 P90, Gibson LP JR DC

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I'd always dug the sound of fuzz pedals, but had a tough time finding one that I could vibe with.

I ended up trying the Chase Tone fuzz fella, and liking it a lot. It's a silicon fuzz, so it's not as sensitive to what I run in front of it, etc. and it's got a few knobs aside from the big 2, but it takes a few seconds to tweak them where I want. I love it with most good single coils, I find it's kind of finicky with humbuckers.

I've got it on my board with 3 different OD's in front of it, so sometimes I'll back the fuzz way off and hit it with one of those.

I've always found the best fuzz tones to be extremely situational and temporary, something you only throw on every now and then to get a different texture for a few bars, then turn it the hell off.

I've never liked tones where fuzz is the primary home base kind of sound.

Last edited:
Dan
I’ve read enough of your posts to trust your opinion.
I’ll try that, but ultimately that’s not what I want to do.
I love my other pedals.

Pushing a hot Marshall with a klone or SD-1 is pure Heaven.

Yeah, i'm saying "start out" with just the fuzz and amp, and then add your other pedals one by one to see how it impacts the signal chain in various ways, know what I mean?

That way you can get a sense of how the Analogman interacts, impedance wise

I've always found the best fuzz tones to be extremely situational and temporary, something you only throw on every now and then to get a different texture for a few bars, then turn it the hell off.

I've never liked tones where fuzz is the primary home base kind of sound.

I'm 10000% in this camp as well. I can think of maybe half a dozen examples of a fuzz tone I legitimately liked - generally, into a dirty marshall, or a super high headroom amp like a hiwatt, riding the volume in both cases

That said, the analogman sunface is one HELL of a nice fuzz pedal, DC should mess with it and see if he can find a way to get it to vibe with the rest of his board

So I just got 20 or so minutes to plug in, lol…

It’s soooo different from my OD’s.

Where I normally run my guitar volume and tone, and with my OD’s, it’s a bit different from the fuzz.

I love my amp gain. My OD ‘s are really just boosts.
But my clean up, even with my OD’s, there’s a certain sound, clean to dirty, in my head to achieve. Love clean, jazzy voiced chords.

Also, I play alone. In a room. With KISS posters, haha.
At 50, my father still asks me if my mother had any kids that lived?

The fuzz is different.
Rolls off a little different for sure.
I know I have to fiddle more with the clean and sundial knobs a bit more and learn more of what they do with breakup and tone.

Not bad into my vibe.
Enjoy it with my delay.
But it doesn’t seem to jive with my chorus, lol.

Back