How do y'all like recording guitar amps set on wood floors?

D/FW XJ'er

My new house has wood floors and I'm really kind of curious how this will affect recording. Do y'all set your amps on rugs/carpet squares in this situation, or just right on the flooring?

I only play them cranked, so low volume is not part of the equation.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dave

It might get boomy since it will couple with the floor. (Assuming your cab has no wheels)

Try the "Great Gamma" iso pad. Or just isolate the cab off of the floor somehow. A crate, etc.

-Joe

mightyjoeyoungxnj":2y0xb1or said:
It might get boomy since it will couple with the floor. (Assuming your cab has no wheels)

Try the "Great Gamma" iso pad. Or just isolate the cab off of the floor somehow. A crate, etc.

-Joe

My 1/2 stacks have casters, however my combo's do not.

I'll check out the Great Gamma pad :)

Thanks!

Lexicon Devil":38i3y9l3 said:
A couple of milk crates should do the trick, this is how I set my halfstack up, irregardless of the flooring surface.

I honestly thought about this, however with as gay as this sounds, I don't want my music room to look ghetto. :aww: I don't mean that in an offensive way, because at my current house I would do that in a heartbeat.

I have wood floors and when I moved in from my apt with carpet I noticed it was a bit boomier. I haven't really tried isolation since I'm just hacking it up and not recording but I would if I were recording.

All of my clips have been recorded with my amp/cab on a wood floor. Never tried it on any other surfaces though.

Megadeth7684":dq35ry26 said:
All of my clips have been recorded with my amp/cab on a wood floor. Never tried it on any other surfaces though.

Do you find your setup to be overly "boomy"?

Not really no, but like I said, never compared it to anything else. I've made a few boomy sounding clips, but that's more of user error I think. :LOL: :LOL:

Megadeth7684":3a6nyqgg said:
D/FW XJ'er":3a6nyqgg said:
Do you close mic the cab?

I'm curious if this method will result in less "room" sound, and more direct amp sound.

Yeah, I usually use 2 SM57's about an inch off the grill cloth. I never use casters either, always have the cab on the floor. Sounds more full to me that way.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/69-dotsintro2.mp3

Thanks for the info and clip. I'll have to see how the recording goes with my low gain stuff.

:thumbsup:

every recording studio ive ever been to had wood floors, really nothing to worry about. we never raised the cabinets up off the floor either and always ended up with great tones.

Stratboy151":1hp18jz2 said:
every recording studio ive ever been to had wood floors, really nothing to worry about. we never raised the cabinets up off the floor either and always ended up with great tones.

That's actually what brought about my question. Every time I've been in the studio, the sound engineer laid out a rug for my amp.

D/FW XJ'er":1whk45d0 said:
Stratboy151":1whk45d0 said:

That's actually what brought about my question. Every time I've been in the studio, the sound engineer laid out a rug for my amp.

yeah ive never experienced that. as for the "boominess", unless your placing mic's 20 feet away from the amps i dont see that being too much of an issue. but this is just my experience

Stratboy151":1qgdcn40 said:
D/FW XJ'er":1qgdcn40 said:
Stratboy151":1qgdcn40 said:

yeah ive never experienced that. as for the "boominess", unless your placing mic's 20 feet away from the amps i dont see that being too much of an issue. but this is just my experience

:rock:

its a good question. I have all hardwood floors in my home however i place a thick rug under my cabinet when i record. I do remove all rugs when i record acoustic guitars, which is the nice thing about having hard woof floors to get a more natural ambient sound. i havent tried recording with amps though on just hardwood in my house but have in recording studios...its actually pretty common. I'll have to try that soon though at home....hmmm

Ant

70strathead":2a97ix4j said:
its a good question. I have all hardwood floors in my home however i place a thick rug under my cabinet when i record. I do remove all rugs when i record acoustic guitars, which is the nice thing about having hard woof floors to get a more natural ambient sound. i havent tried recording with amps though on just hardwood in my house but have in recording studios...its actually pretty common. I'll have to try that soon though at home....hmmm

Ant

yeah theres nothing like playing acoustic in a room with h/w floors and no furniture!

Back