How similar are Hagen and VH2?

EWSEthan

Obviously I know the Hagen is 4 channels but what I’m curious of is how similar are the cleans between these amps and how similar is Hagen Ch3 to VH2 Ch2? I’ve heard the Hagen is basically a VH4 Mk2 so my hunch is that these channels are both very similar since apparently VH2 Ch2 is an updated more modern VH4 Ch3 and the Hagen has an improved clean over the VH4 which my guess is also in the VH2. Anyone actually have experience with both?

Obviously I know the Hagen is 4 channels but what I’m curious of is how similar are the cleans between these amps and how similar is Hagen Ch3 to VH2 Ch2? I’ve heard the Hagen is basically a VH4 Mk2 so my hunch is that these channels are both very similar since apparently VH2 Ch2 is an updated more modern VH4 Ch3 and the Hagen has an improved clean over the VH4 which my guess is also in the VH2. Anyone actually have experience with both?
If you search this forum, I recently did a long, two part, detailed comparison between the VH4 and Hagen. You may find it helpful.

i can only say from the VHX in Hagen and the VHX in VH4 mode on channel 3 that i don't find them very close.
Outside of the Diezel world they sure are close.
to my ears the Hagen mode is less filtered in the early gain stages, so it's got more lowend and the gain structure is different. sounds more grainy/raspy and not as smooth and thick with mids as the VH4 mode which has the bass trimmed quite noticable.
think of it as moving you Pickup closer to the neck with the hagen. THe EQ change has an effect on the distortion structure.

If you dial the bass on the Hagen mode down and increase the mids you can get them closer, but it will never be exactly the same.
here is a good comparison:

i can only say from the VHX in Hagen and the VHX in VH4 mode on channel 3 that i don't find them very close.
Outside of the Diezel world they sure are close.
to my ears the Hagen mode is less filtered in the early gain stages, so it's got more lowend and the gain structure is different. sounds more grainy/raspy and not as smooth and thick with mids as the VH4 mode which has the bass trimmed quite noticable.
think of it as moving you Pickup closer to the neck with the hagen. THe EQ change has an effect on the distortion structure.

If you dial the bass on the Hagen mode down and increase the mids you can get them closer, but it will never be exactly the same.
here is a good comparison:

This. From playing both amps and playing their modes in the VHX (which gives a pretty representation), I totally agree. The Hagen is far less filtered, more wide open, but also looser. CH3 VH4 is much tighter and punchier in the midrange.

For my personal tastes, I like the VH4 style of gain MUCH more and rarely use any Hagen inspired settings on my VHX.

Back