I am an asshole (SD-1 content)

They’re perfect for Marshalls, especially 800s. Any other amp I’ve tried them with I tend to feel it cuts too much low end and the peak frequency is too narrow/harsh, although a derivative like the MXR Custom Badass OD gives you more options. Still on a lot of other amps I just prefer a tubescreamer/derivative.

Only boost I use. I have 4 SD-1’s plus a Griffin Super Drive. They all sound a bit different. The Griffin and Waza stand further apart tonally from the other three. Not necessarily better though……just different. Some days the cheap Malaysian one works best.

The Griffin is great as an “always on” boost. It is cleaner and retains more low end. But I miss the clarity of the Boss buffer when I’m not boosting.

my new favorite SD-1 ....... the " Borris "
1704813754458.jpeg

1704813622211.jpeg

I've had one for probably 15 years now, they work great in certain situations. It's not something I reach for all of the time, but it's one of those pieces that's hard to justify not having around.

Notice any differences?
I still have my 86 version, tried the Waza and have had multiple MiT versions. The 86 sounds richer, better to me...the Waza also has that quality...the MiT versions are a bit flatter but still sound really good with a MV/NMV Marshall circuit.
They are all a little different but not that different where one would need to own all versions. Imo.

Painting with a wide brush here, but for me the SD1 wins with Marshall types and the TS wins with 5150 types. However, the Synergy SLO module I have works better with the SD1 so IDK.

Went down the OD used as a boost rabbit hole for years and probably tried 30 or 40 variations. I keep two OD pedals on my board now. SD1 and an original Koko. I might rotate a TS9 in here and there or the Griff 808 Imperial, but the SD1 just works.

I keep going back to mine, (it's one I've never sold). I sold 5 higher end boost pedals in the past 2 weeks and the SD-1 always delivers in front of a Marshall-based amp. For a TS-9 flavor, I keep going back to the MXR GT-OD. I'm slowly weaning off the "boutique" pedal rabbit hole.. Some a great, but you just can't beat an SD-1.

I have had many boost pedals over the years and finally picked up an SD-1. The hype is real. Instant gratification. I now wonder how many amps I would have kept had I boosted them with an SD-1. Lots of $$ down the drain. No boost Karen here!!
Yep it the chit also blues driver and DS-1

The SD-1 is not for me, cuts too much low end. The one I had was 1985 MIJ. Everyone says it's the perfect match for Marshalls, I don't have a Marshall but I did try it with JCM 800 preamp clone into KTG 2100, much prefer an OD808 or TS9.

Exactly, get that volume up and you aren't hearing any difference but the sound of the extra bills you kept in your wallet fluttering around..
Kinda feel like you got ripped with that little SMT board floating around in there though... But I guess at $60 no one should complain.

Was comparing my old SD1 with the just arrived Nobels ODR1 30th and was surprised I preferred the Nobels. The Nobels was very clear sounding in comparison.

Back