i can't make up my mind about speakers to mix with V30's

9ball

Hey everybody - been awhile - hope all is well - I'm gonna get some speakers to mix in my vintage cab soon with the V30's in it in an x pattern. I'm undecided on g12h30's (prolly just get hellatone's), the mojotone version of g12h30's, warehouse reaper 55hz or whatever, eminence swamp thangs, eminence wizards, or possibly scumbacks? I play a modded tsl 60(yes i'm still playing this amp lol), and all i've ever heard it through are these V30's. I don't want to completely get rid of them because they're good for playing live, and i've been doing that off and on, but i'm wanting to smooth out the tone a bit. At home they can really start to gring on your ears. Anyways i'm undexided because i've read that the g12h30's can be kind of bright? And i'm not sure that would be the best thing for this amp. It's modded but still sounds like a marshall pretty much. Can be on the bright side. I mostly use the lower gain channel for classic rock tones if that helps - just wondering if anyone has any input on any of these speakers and if they'd work well with V30's and a marshall. Or if somebody has a better idea? Thanks

The GH30 is a good choice, even though they have bright highs it doesn't negatively affect the sound when mixed with V30's. They excel at lower gain tones too and would make your cab 120 watts, which is fine since you are running a 60 watt head. They also sound mean with V30's when you want to raise the gain and play heavier metal based stuff. It's a versatile pairing that sounds great for all rock and metal styles.

Alright - yeah that sounds good - that's what i've been leaning towards - any idea on which version might be best? I'm thinking i want a smooth speaker, but not muffled you know? Like which manufacturer's version would be the best - mojotone or hellatone or wgs

I haven't tried the Mojo or WGS, but if I were in your position I would go with the Hellatone since they are literally broken in Celestions that have been exercised for 30 hours or so by the dudes at Avatar.

Right on. I prolly will for the vintage cab just because the 30's are celestions anyways lol. But i gotta buy american for the mode four. Swamp thangs and wizards are prolly in it's future lol.
What's up D-rock how's life been treatin ya man

slightly off topic some kind of beam blockers on the v30 might help with the dispersion and in the process smooth things out somewhat, i considered doing X patterns/speaker swaps in my 4x12 with v30s for a while but a set of 4 beamblockers (or one of the cheaper variants) seemed to do the trick nicely

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

otherwise the g12h30 are a very nice pairing

Be aware that V30s are very loud (100db rating), pairing them with lower rated speakers might overpower them (ie Greenbacks at 96db)

I had a cab with V30s and Eminence Texas Heats in an X pattern and it sounded fantastic! The only thing that drove me nuts was having two totally different live tones depending on which speaker the soundman mic'ed.

H30s are a good choice for some amps, but can be overly bright and obnoxious with others. My favorite mix so far has been 65 Watt Weber Legacies with V30s. Sounds very rich and detailed, while balancing any harsh frequencies and warming things up a bit. :thumbsup:

Business":ljlzuwbd said:
Be aware that V30s are very loud (100db rating), pairing them with lower rated speakers might overpower them (ie Greenbacks at 96db)

I can attest to that. Tried to mix with Greenbacks but the V30 was almost all I heard. Messed with my EQ as well. Changed back to greenbacks only. Creates problems when mic'd also.

Marshalls really like H30s. I love my V30 H30 cross in my Avatar cab. I like the V30 T75 mix too, but I don't think that's going to do what you want it to do. I would cross them with the H30s.

9ball":1vp1tz44 said:
Right on. I prolly will for the vintage cab just because the 30's are celestions anyways lol. But i gotta buy american for the mode four. Swamp thangs and wizards are prolly in it's future lol.
What's up D-rock how's life been treatin ya man
Lifes good, just wish I had more time to play guitar that's all.

I ended up not mixing speakers in cabs anymore and just play V30's only now.
However, one of my cabs has V30's and WGS Vet30's and I like that mix since they are really similar sounding with only slight differences.
Kind of like mixing Coke and Pepsi in the same glass versus Coke and 7up, or rootbeer, or orange Fanta, or Dr.Pepper, if you get what I'm saying...
But I do think the GH30's are your best bet for what you're going for.

Hey man, Im a fan of V30's on their own and they dont mess with my ears but if I was going to pair them with something else, It would totally be the G12H30's and call it a day...

Kage

I have the Marshall 1960BHW Cab that is loaded with Heritage G12H30s and i've been considering mixing them too with V30's i guess i'm afraid to pull the trigger and just do it.

Hm...well thanks for.the input everybody. I'll have to look at those weber legacies too i hadn't heard of those before. I have two cabs so i guess i should just go ahead and try a couple in this vintage cab. I still have this mode 4 straight cab that needs speakers lol

fek":7y1k1ifm said:
I have V30's mixed with ET65's and the cab rocks pretty hard.
:thumbsup: Beat me to it. I know even bodies saying G12H30. But V30's and 65's are a smoking combo. If your looking to smooth things out and tame some of the brightness/highs 65's are a great choice.

Business":2ge0lh23 said:

You're thinking Heritage, the 25 watt greenback is 98db so it's fine and sounds pretty fine too.
I like the v30 with 75's, 12-65's, h30's and greenbacks. They're all pretty decent. Hell, some broken in v30's mixed with nothing sounds ok too. Depends on the amp.

Business":fct3ir4w said:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. I think the SBs are 97 or 98db. The V30s were louder than the Small Blocks. Putting both V30s on the bottom would help. FWIW, I don't really like mixing speakers in the same cab. I have a 4x12 loaded with V30s and another loaded with G12K-85s(actually 2 of each) and I think they sound better each in their own cab rather than 2 mixed 4x12s(I tried it before).

Back