I got my Peavey Classic 120!

soc_monki

and it sounds HUGE with the Rockmaster through it! definitely has a lot of balls, and that was at really low volume! i cant wait to crank it :) clear, tight, and heavy!

i opened it up and it was quite dusty inside, and the amp is from 1990. i dunno if it was ever cleaned out! that fan puts out some airflow! question...do i get a can of compressed air to clean it out (i dont want to take a dust rag to the inside...with high voltages lurking as well as components that might get snagged and broken by a rag as well, i dont awnna do that!) or what? never done it before, so i figured id ask!

while i was in Nashville i also picked up a Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (in black cherry!) i never liked the pictures of them because the abalone binding around the body looked kinda garish, but in person its sexy! so i had to grab it. EMGs, Original Floyd, set neck with a quilt maple top all for 700 bucks (yea i talked them down, i found a few flaws, but nothing that would impede playability, just minor finish stuff) and it sound pretty sweet through the Peavey rack rig...thick and clear under super-high gain, very comfortable neck and great upper fret access. the OFR is a treat as well...ive never used a real Floyd and its definitely very solid feeling.

all in all...i had a great weekend! new rig, new guitar...and YES i will post pics later! :) im just on a break from work and dont have the time to do pics at the moment!

Those Peavey Classics are pretty cool. They need a boost, but are awesome machines. I've only played the 30 and 50 however.

:|::QBB:
Code001":54a37 said:
Those Peavey Classics are pretty cool. They need a boost, but are awesome machines. I've only played the 30 and 50 however.

well, its the Classic 120 poweramp :) its confusing i know...they have the Classic series amps, and they had the Classic series poweramps. this is just the poweramp. i got it to run with my Rockmaster and holy hell does it sound sweet!

i agree though...i played a Classic 50 4x10 and it needed a boost. which we did...and we got some sweet metal tones out of it :) LMAO!

Code001":30acc said:
What are the specs on the Classic 120?

120 watts, single channel (the Classic 120/120 is the stereo model...like i need that much power! LOL), 4 6L6's, 2 12ax7's, 1 12at7, 3 space rack mount...input, outputs...volume control...pretty simple LOL

i just wonder what the preamp tubes jobs are in a poweramp? buffers or phase inverters? its my first tube poweramp (i had the Mosvalve MV962 before this and there is a HUGE difference in tone!)

:D That's my old setup, it was good for what it is. The best part was the push pull pots. I always had it in the Ultra channel pulled, and then Edge and Bottom pulled in the Voicing.. If I remember right..?

Post some clips!

soc_monki":d925c said:

120 watts, single channel (the Classic 120/120 is the stereo model...like i need that much power! LOL), 4 6L6's, 2 12ax7's, 1 12at7, 3 space rack mount...input, outputs...volume control...pretty simple LOL

i just wonder what the preamp tubes jobs are in a poweramp? buffers or phase inverters? its my first tube poweramp (i had the Mosvalve MV962 before this and there is a HUGE difference in tone!)

I've wondered the same thing. I thought there would be maybe 2 12ax7 tubes at most for each side for PI tubes, but I've seen some with like 5+. I never knew what the rest were for.

vultures":36dfd said:
:D That's my old setup, it was good for what it is. The best part was the push pull pots. I always had it in the Ultra channel pulled, and then Edge and Bottom pulled in the Voicing.. If I remember right..?

Post some clips!

the only push-pull in the voicing section is the mids, which when pulled gives it a LOT more low-mids and makes it more Mesa-like, and it thumps like mad. i dont know if i like it better with the pot in or out LOL and i use both the crunch and ultra channels with the pots pulled...sounds awesome that way i think :D

and right now i can only play on the Ultra channel, since my footswitch isnt here at the moment :( LOL and no clips as i dont have any way to record them. if i had a decent mic and a XLR-1/4 inch adaptor i could use the Pod as a preamp interface LOL ill see what i can do one of these days...maybe use the ole computer mic for shits and giggles LOL

Code001":4b9c9 said:

I've wondered the same thing. I thought there would be maybe 2 12ax7 tubes at most for each side for PI tubes, but I've seen some with like 5+. I never knew what the rest were for.

maybe someone who knows will chime in...like JerryP or someone. im gonna try to do a little research too.

Back