I hate setting up....

A baby Floyd with locking tuners headstock tuners and standard nut with lube is a super solid way to go. My Anderson arc Angel has that set up and I can still do a little wammy work but overall it is super stable tuning wise!

I feel your pain. About 3 weeks ago I setup 4 of my guitars with Floyd's and 3 of them are seven strings. :doh: BTW just throw in a Duncan SH-5 Custom and be done with it!

If it’s not top mounted/dive-only, the balancing act is what’s frustrating to me about them, and how anything you adjust that alters the tension at all means you have to sort of start all over again finding the balance. But at least with a locking nut you don’t have to worry about the tuning also doing that after you’ve got things generally set up.

This is probably why I've never chased a Floyd equipped guitar. The floating trem on my Strat seems so much easier and I'm not a big dive bomb guy anyway. Don't have tons of experience with the Duncan Custom but I do have a Custom Custom and can recommend (TB-11).

guitars with floyd's.:mad::mad::mad:.....My Kramer needs the neck adjusted and my Jackson as well. My Greco Sykes with the kahler is rock solid. fuck.
Floyd’s can be a pain in the ass, but that rock solid tuning is hard to beat. I have Floyd equipped guitars and I don’t even use the Floyd. I just like the fact they stay in tune. And they seem to feel slightly different to play on that a hard tail guitar. The palm mute chuggah chuggah thing sounds tighter and more defined to me, but that could be in my head.

Floyd’s can be a pain in the ass, but that rock solid tuning is hard to beat. I have Floyd equipped guitars and I don’t even use the Floyd. I just like the fact they stay in tune. And they seem to feel slightly different to play on that a hard tail guitar. The palm mute chuggah chuggah thing sounds tighter and more defined to me, but that could be in my head.
This is what I would like to understand better.
Why?
Why is tighter?
Is it blocked or not?
You would think a hardtail would be tighter no?
So is it the locking nut?
Who has a non Floyd guitar with a locking nut?

I hear ya. However I would add: totally worth it.

Once you get everything in order they’re totally stable. My shit stays in tune for days,—weeks—and I’m pretty hard on it.

Its funny, I have Floyd guitars, and hardtail guitars, and they all stay in tune pretty dang good.

And the 84 has an easily accessible truss rod channel so you shouldn't have to really do very much.

I won't own any guitar that needs heavy maintenance.
Regular tremolo is as far as I go
I just got rid of a 12 string because it needed strings.
I looked at all those pegs and said fuck no not again
I threw it in the car and took it to GC

Its funny, I have Floyd guitars, and hardtail guitars, and they all stay in tune pretty dang good.

And the 84 has an easily accessible truss rod channel so you shouldn't have to really do very much.
it really is a sweet guitar. that fuckin jb though....I have never really liked that pup....

This is what I would like to understand better.
Why?
Why is tighter?
Is it blocked or not?
You would think a hardtail would be tighter no?
So is it the locking nut?
Who has a non Floyd guitar with a locking nut?
I haven’t a clue. I think perhaps because it’s a big hunk of metal with a brass block usually attached compared to a much smaller piece of metal on a hard tail. A Floyd is pretty heavy.

I’m just about always wrong about everything so I am assuming my deduction is most likely utter nonsense. But, in my mind, Floyd equipped guitars sound tighter, slightly brighter and more defined.

and the jb in that kramer is straight dogshit. just sayin. what would you guys recommend putting in there in place of the jb? it's the kramer 84 model. I installed a custom 5 and a virtual vintage in my jap jackson dk2. Sounds so much better than the Kramer. Of course anything was better than the duncan designed crap that was in the jackson.

TB-5.

I hate putting strings on. I screw it up everytime since 1986. I try to wrap over, under, kink the string, etc. Always becomes a giant, pinging mess.

have to redo the tuning on my Jackson. forgot to adjust the height on the fine tuners before locking the nut. can only go up, not down....duh... :bash:

I haven’t a clue. I think perhaps because it’s a big hunk of metal with a brass block usually attached compared to a much smaller piece of metal on a hard tail. A Floyd is pretty heavy.

I’m just about always wrong about everything so I am assuming my deduction is most likely utter nonsense. But, in my mind, Floyd equipped guitars sound tighter, slightly brighter and more defined.
Well yeah. That's what I assume as well. If that were the case, you'd think there would be more heavier floating trem (bridge) drop in replacements out there. Like Stone Tone.

I'm gonna put one of those stone tone blocks on it also. it could only help I assume..
Speaking of Stone Tone, they get a lot of press and endorsements I suppose but there is something about stone to me, that doesn't seem like it would have a lot of properties conducive to guitars, but what do I know.

I hate putting strings on. I screw it up everytime since 1986. I try to wrap over, under, kink the string, etc. Always becomes a giant, pinging mess.
This is old but very telling/helpful. The two main things that I learned about restringing a guitar is to stretch your strings before final tune up and give that string a nice 90 degree + bend before the wrap. If you do that part right, you should only have to wrap once around and it will prevent a lot of slippage which will in turn improve tuning stability. Locking nuts? I don't know what to say.
F46wnowl.jpg

😄 🤣 😂

That's like selling a car because it needs an oil change. But I kinda get it!
Yeah but its like. 12. That's double. That's almost like doing an oil change yourself and turning around and draining it just to do it again :LOL:

Last edited:
Back