I made a replica of Jerry Cantrell's AiC Dirt touring rack

EXPcustom

Took a while but it's all original down to the Kriz Kraft 16 space rack. I still have to dial in all the clean/chorus sounds on the Intelliverb.

What we have is an original 91 Bogner Fish with the Cantrell mod on the Shark channel, RSP Intelliverb, Solid State Mosvalve 500 with the Midi Octopus and Footswitch. What we are missing compared to Jerry's old rig is Nady wireless and some other out of date or unnessasry equipment.

Took a while to find the right Fish because original ones with the Cantrell mod on the Shark channel are rare as Hen's teeth and I'll be honest most Fish preamps and I mean original and reissues don't sound that good. They really don't live up to the hype so if you're reading this thread please don't think you'll just grab a Fish and be in tonal nirvana or be able to buy what I have in this rack and be able to replicate the tone because you won't without some serious tweaking.

After listening to some 92-93 bootlegs of Alice in Chains live I think I've got the high gain tone dialed in, next is working on the clean with chorus/flanger a la Rooster. Still trying to figure out if Jerry was using the Strato or Country channel for clean and what his Intelliverb settings may have been so if anyone knows feel free to chime in.

Hope to have some clips of me playing some AiC riffs later this week if I feel confident in tone and my playing.

In the mean time here are some pics of what I am talking about:

HMggP2zm.jpg

bfKo1LZm.jpg

Guitar and cabs:

9l0IK8Km.jpg

Yes I have an early 90's Marshall Classic and Vintage cabs just like Jerry used.

That's awesome dude. Congrats. I'll be there it sounds killer.

I've never played a Fish, but I'm sure the "normal" ones sound good too. Let's all just enjoy gear.

cardinal":12sg28xn said:
That's awesome dude. Congrats. I'll be there it sounds killer.

I've never played a Fish, but I'm sure the "normal" ones sound good too. Let's all just enjoy gear.

Don't get me wrong the "normal" Fish preamps sound good, they just need to be dialed in. Chris Poland loved his reissue more than his original one. I think what it is, they take a lot of time to get dialed in but can be one of the geatest most transparent amps out there when you got it dialed in.

Now if you're a beginer thinking you're just going to plug in and play sounding like Cantrell, Digarmo or Poland you will be disappointed as with most of those guys the tone is in the hands.

So, no, I do not want anyone to take this post as a my shits better than yours and even if you have the same shit is sucks. :LOL: :LOL:

i have had all of the mosvalve poweramps and they are ok but not great.

i bet that rig will come to life with a brutal big ass tube power amp like a mesa or a VHT or even a marshall
something with el34s

the first chris poland album return to metalopolis is all fish thru a VHT and the tomes are incredible especially the solos
but then again CP will make a gorilla map sound good.

EXPcustom":1nl7qv03 said:
Took a while but it's all original down to the Kriz Kraft 16 space rack. I still have to dial in all the clean/chorus sounds on the Intelliverb.

What we have is an original 91 Bogner Fish with the Cantrell mod on the Shark channel, RSP Intelliverb, Solid State Mosvalve 500 with the Midi Octopus and Footswitch. What we are missing compared to Jerry's old rig is Nady wireless and some other out of date or unnessasry equipment.

Took a while to find the right Fish because original ones with the Cantrell mod on the Shark channel are rare as Hen's teeth and I'll be honest most Fish preamps and I mean original and reissues don't sound that good. They really don't live up to the hype so if you're reading this thread please don't think you'll just grab a Fish and be in tonal nirvana or be able to buy what I have in this rack and be able to replicate the tone because you won't without some serious tweaking.

After listening to some 92-93 bootlegs of Alice in Chains live I think I've got the high gain tone dialed in, next is working on the clean with chorus/flanger a la Rooster. Still trying to figure out if Jerry was using the Strato or Country channel for clean and what his Intelliverb settings may have been so if anyone knows feel free to chime in.

Hope to have some clips of me playing some AiC riffs later this week if I feel confident in tone and my playing.

In the mean time here are some pics of what I am talking about:

HMggP2zm.jpg

bfKo1LZm.jpg

Guitar and cabs:

9l0IK8Km.jpg

Yes I have an early 90's Marshall Classic and Vintage cabs just like Jerry used.

Very cool. I bet it is all tuned to tone. Congratulations EXP.

David...♫

controlled_voltage":3iykzxx6 said:
i have had all of the mosvalve poweramps and they are ok but not great.

i bet that rig will come to life with a brutal big ass tube power amp like a mesa or a VHT or even a marshall
something with el34s

the first chris poland album return to metalopolis is all fish thru a VHT and the tomes are incredible especially the solos
but then again CP will make a gorilla map sound good.

Rust in Peace was Fish too. Kirk used one on TBA as well

I admire you dedication to tone my friend, superb work.

I have no doubt it sounds great, but It's impossible to appreciate it with a camera clip like that. e.g. An iphone clip of my VH4 sounds so similar to my Boss practice amp that I can't pick it!

I don't suppose you can mic the cab and post it? Would love to hear it properly :rock:

aside":3p6095yf said:
I admire you dedication to tone my friend, superb work.

I have no doubt it sounds great, but It's impossible to appreciate it with a camera clip like that. e.g. An iphone clip of my VH4 sounds so similar to my Boss practice amp that I can't pick it!

I don't suppose you can mic the cab and post it? Would love to hear it properly :rock:
Its pretty the same thing when it comes out of the front of pa system in a mix.

Back