I tried a Les Paul Classic, and I loved it. Would I be happy with an Edwards, rather?

Rex Rocker

OK, so the context is I have a Les Paul Tribute. I love it, but the one thing I would change about it is I'd prefer a thinner 60's neck. Plus I want to upgrade to a full-thickness body and a gloss finish, so I'm in the market for something new.

I tried a Les Paul Classic at Long and McQuade, and I loved it. I liked it way better than the Standard, honestly, as I prefer a solid finish, and I don't mind the weight-relieved body.

However, I've also been wanting one of those Edwards E-LP Gold Tops for a while now. Those are cheaper than the Gibsons, but those aren't cheap either. What I'm dubious about with those is the neck profile and the finish. I don't want to pay a bunch of money to find out they feel like fat-necked Epis, LOL.

So... I mean, I could shell out the money for a Classic, but is it worth it over the Edwards? Would an Edwards be good enough? What are your opinions?

I sold my Les Paul Standard Goldtop which had the 50s neck and I have an Edwards LTS arriving tomorrow. I think the gold tops would have a similar or the same neck profile so I will repost if it is closer to a 60s than a 50s. I have not played a classic

I loved my Edwards ES so much I sold the Gibson ES333 because after hundreds of gigs it was sitting in the case. I loved her so much that when i wanted a LP I bought an Edwards after looking at 2200 dollar plus used and 3k new LP standards, which are also killer IMO. My E-LP has a slim taper neck, but not as slim the Gibson ES I had. I would've liked to have a fatter neck E-LP but they seem rarer, older, and on average commanded more money, at least on reverb. I do not know what the default Edwards LP carve on the newer models is tbh.

I don't care about the name of headstock. Or if it's lacquer or not. Playability and tone come first for me, weighed by price. Both Edwards were set up reasonably well when I got them and had decent electonics, but they were also like new-used. I bought one on the advice of another player who had one and have been pretty happy. I saved thousands over the Gibson counterparts and still was able to play with pickup swaps and other stuff with leftover cash. I would love to have a new white custom or one of the older quilted top models ditto one of the new 50's carve LP standards Gibson has. Good luck on your decision, you can't really go wrong either way.

Never played an Edwards, but have several Greco and Tokai.
None were even close to my Gibbys, of which my 02 Classic is the sweetest.
Get a Classic, an early 2000s one if you can find one in good condition, for a decent deal. One pice mahogany body, abr bridge, heavy af, sounds perfect.

My old Edwards was pretty much a Les Paul shaped guitar of 1000 series LTD quality. It was fine, but I sold it and don't miss it. A Les Paul Classic is just a better guitar all around. That's not knocking Edwards at all, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Get the Gibson and don't look back.

I have a 2013 Classic, 2019 Standard, and 2023 Studio. The classic is my gig guitar. I love the new Classic models but they are heavier than my 2013. When i played one, it sounded amazing. I've been wanting another guitar for gigs and may end up with another Classic.

Yeah, no. I’ve had 3 Edwards, and while nice guitars, they ain’t Gibsons. Feel, sound, it’s all different.

Thanks for all the replies!

I used to have an EC-1000 in silverburst. I thought it was meh. So I can expect that kind of quality from the Edwards?

I'm wary about buying Edwards online. Much like with 1000, you sometimes hit the jackpot, you sometimes don't. Sometimes you get a magical one, sometimes you don't. The good thing about the Gibson is I can try a couple to see which I like better. But also, Gibsons are known for being inconsistent and ESP/LTD are more or less the opposite.

Either would get the pickups swapped, more than likely. I don't think either of them come with blistering hot Ceramic firebreathers, which is my preference, hahaha.

An ESP USA Eclipse is the only ESP branded LP type that will get you remotely close to a real LP. Even then, it's not the same.

FWIW, Edwards has moved their factory around over the years and they’re currently being made alongside the E-II’s in Japan, no more China shop.

Which makes sense because the fit/finish feels exactly like my friend’s E-II Horizon III, just different shapes. Mine’s a 2022 LP Custom.

I’m guessing at some point they were coming out at far less quality because I’ve seen them compared to Epiphones, I just played a shitload of new Epiphones and have a HARD disagree on that. I wouldn’t spend $500 on a single Epiphone I played, including the Alex Lifeson model I played this weekend, they felt like beginner guitars in comparison to the Edwards. I’d have no problem dropping up to $1500 on an Edwards all day long, sight unseen.

Thanks for all the replies!

I used to have an EC-1000 in silverburst. I thought it was meh. So I can expect that kind of quality from the Edwards?

I'm wary about buying Edwards online. Much like with 1000, you sometimes hit the jackpot, you sometimes don't. Sometimes you get a magical one, sometimes you don't. The good thing about the Gibson is I can try a couple to see which I like better. But also, Gibsons are known for being inconsistent and ESP/LTD are more or less the opposite.

Either would get the pickups swapped, more than likely. I don't think either of them come with blistering hot Ceramic firebreathers, which is my preference, hahaha.
I had both an LPC, and John Sykes. Both were extremely muddy/muffled with zero clarity. They felt nice, but cheap at the same time. I hate the plastic white looking binding, it looked cheap..

My Greco Sykes is a murder machine. I think it’s an 81 maybe…can’t remember. Feels like my old 57 custom reissue I used to have. For a fraction of the price. If you are going to spend a good bit on the Edwards then I would suggest getting the Gibson. If you’re a cheap bastard like me then there are definitely other options.

Edwards, Greco, Burny, Tokai, and others make great versions, and you might find one you love. But you already know you love the LP Classic.

Actually, I take everything back about Edwards. They are absolutely equal to LTD’s. Don’t buy them and don’t tell anyone about them, please.

To be honest, I feel like the "poor Gibson quality" thing is internet BS, in the same vein as T75s being bad speakers. I've not personally experienced Gibsons being dogs more than any other meaningful brand.

That being said, I feel its worth the clarity that Edwards aren't "worse" guitars, just different. They look like Gibsons, but don't feel or sound like them. That is not a good/bad thing. If you like how they feel and sound, you can get the same vibe as an LPC for way less money than a Gibby LP Custom.

Back