Ibanez Jem connoisseurs only...

Nico

Hello!

I was offered an all original 1993 Ibanez Jem 7VWH, in excellent condition. How much are they going for?

Are these any different from the current models spec wise? Quality wise? Tone wise?

Never actually played a Jem, so I can't compare with the current ones...

Thanks in advance!
Best regards
Nico.

They are very hit-or-miss...more miss than hit IMO...buyer beware. I'm not sure what it was with the white ones but I've played a few that were beyond dogs...absolute garbage. That said, I've played some great ones as well.

The only difference in spec that comes to mind is that they changed the fingerboard from ebony to rosewood at some point, I believe around the mid-00's.

i used to be able to buy this model all day long on ebay for less than $1,000... for some reason, the prices have shot up in recent years, but that's for the newer ones.

play it first. see how it feels and sounds. id say anywhere between 12-16(really minty)

I have had a couple of these JEM 7V's in the past few years and still have my player. 2003 was the last year of the ebony fretboards, since then it has been rosewood. Also, there was a point where the edge trem was upgraded as well, not sure when.

Retail for new, with Rosewood fretboard is like $2799, and the used prices that have been offered are pretty accurate. A couple years ago I sold an absolutely beautiful, excellent condition 2003 with ebony board, upgraded edge trem for $1250 and it should have fetched a bit more...probably $1500. If I were to sell my player, I mean some dings, Dimarzio strap locks, faded Vai signature, OHSC, etc...I would still expect to see at least $1000 and closer to $1200 or so.

So, an excellent condition Jem 7V with ebony fretboard, depending on year, can sell $1250 - $1500 easy.

Hope that helps, good luck.

rupe":1rtpbs6i said:
They are very hit-or-miss...more miss than hit IMO...buyer beware. I'm not sure what it was with the white ones but I've played a few that were beyond dogs...absolute garbage.

I owned a white Jem 2007 model and it was the most expensive piece of dog shit i ever had the displeasure of owning. Sounded dead, lifeless, thin. Actually made me hate Alder until i tried a real alder guitar - ESP M-II.

Heard horror stories of guys who strip the paint to do swirls and find 12 pieces of alder glued together.

Jems are the most expensive production assembly line guitar they make. Save your money, step up to a J-Custom, or get a prestige.

glpg80":1q5caopa said:
rupe":1q5caopa said:
They are very hit-or-miss...more miss than hit IMO...buyer beware. I'm not sure what it was with the white ones but I've played a few that were beyond dogs...absolute garbage.

I owned a white Jem 2007 model and it was the most expensive piece of dog shit i ever had the displeasure of owning. Sounded dead, lifeless, thin. Actually made me hate Alder until i tried a real alder guitar - ESP M-II.

Heard horror stories of guys who strip the paint to do swirls and find 12 pieces of alder glued together.

Jems are the most expensive production assembly line guitar they make. Save your money, step up to a J-Custom, or get a prestige.
Probably good advice if you are strictly looking for a "player". That said, if you find a good Jem, they can be great. My BFP sounds bigger/fatter than any other Jem/RG that I've ever come across...there are good ones out there to be found if you "gotta have" a Jem. I find that the older square heel basswood models seem to have a higher "hit rate" than the white ones.

Interesting (and not surprising) about the multi-piece alder bodies...that could certainly explain all the dogs that I've come across. And I thought the 7-piece 70's Strats were garbage...this takes it to the next level!

Back