If your Mesa 4x12 is fizzy/harsh, or you want for more mids, this post is for you. Series/Parallel Bogner treatment!

Also those older mesa cabs have that tighter weave to the grill cloth that definitely filters more of the treble. You can't see the speakers through the older grills, and the newer grills are very easy to see through. I think that is at least part of the less shrill nature of the older cabs.

Also those older mesa cabs have that tighter weave to the grill cloth that definitely filters more of the treble. You can't see the speakers through the older grills, and the newer grills are very easy to see through. I think that is at least part of the less shrill nature of the older cabs.
Like the nice thick ass, cane grill you could get on some Marshall repro cabs.

Personal stash I’ve had for years.
Any idea if any shops still resell it ?

I remember years ago I had a JCM800 412 can with celestion 75s. Did the exact same thing with the wiring. It gave me the similar results as you've experienced.

I remember years ago I had a JCM800 412 can with celestion 75s. Did the exact same thing with the wiring. It gave me the similar results as you've experienced.
Nah I looked too and it’s all gone.

What's the date code on the speakers? The fizzy / harsh V30s started sometime around 2004.

They’re 2003, it’s really that they’re not broken in. I thought they would have been but they’re not! S/P wire & foam got em great standing and jamming, but they’re still harsh on axis. Just need to play ‘em more and maybe pound them with some dance music and metal.

Also had a 2006 T4335B that was killer. Got some 2005 T4416’s that are too.

Last edited:
The on axis has settled down and off-axis is kind of a religious experience, literally had to sit down and shed a tear of joy. Sort of like when you have a masterstroke and finish a creation and are overwhelmed at the intended result finally reaching form. It's unbelievable, it's the pure, unadulterated, rock machine. A thing of beauty.

Going to hijack your thread for a second, Nigel. I updated an older Recto cab last year that used the same Switchcraft shorting jack...

Adxyk96.jpg

I put in all new Cliff switching jacks. Since the older jack plate didn't have an Out jack, it only required 3 little jumpers...

GjGZf4E.jpg

Keqp5ht.jpg

It went from this...

3zM1KGA.jpg

...to this...

MBfX6x2.jpg

The cab sounded better with more detail, if that makes sense. New jacks can make a difference. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Going to hijack your thread for a second, Nigel. I updated an older Recto cab last year that used the same Switchcraft shorting jack...

View attachment 282257

I put in all new Cliff switching jacks. Since the older jack plate didn't have an Out jack, it only required 3 little jumpers...

View attachment 282260

View attachment 282263

It went from this...

View attachment 282266

...to this...

View attachment 282269

The cab sounded better with more detail, if that makes sense. New jacks can make a difference. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Great job! Tried S/P wiring?

View attachment 282257

View attachment 282260

View attachment 282263

It went from this...

View attachment 282266

...to this...

View attachment 282269

I believe this is the cab I bought from BackCrack. I think it is wired series parallel. I put G12K-85 on bottom and Vintage 30 on top. Mesa Standard oversized 4x12.
20240314_163801.jpg

View attachment 282257

View attachment 282260

View attachment 282263

It went from this...

View attachment 282266

...to this...

View attachment 282269

One thing I'd like to mention and it's not to criticize you, I suggest having the wires wrap around the lugs and then solder. This way solder isn't "holding" the connection.

Jessup Amps sells harnesses and speaker cables made with Soundrunner W8110, but they're priced pretty high. I have two 7' lengths of the 12 gauge version (W8112) that I'd sell for less.

Back