Info on this early CHarvel / DiMarzio guitar - Pre Serial

Exhead

Picked this up recently and it seems highly collectible and wanted so far from a couple guys. Going to meet a guy locally who really knows his stuff tonight.

What I think I have learned so far.

Neck: 1981 USA Charvel Made 12" Radius, purple heart plug, truss rod adjust at heel of neck. Neck numbered 342 / 3.
Body: 1981 MIJ by ESP for Dimarzio "Woodburn" Creamy White Body, no additional screw holes in guitar body, assume original pickguard and back plate.
Pickups: 1979 EMG SA with SPC at 2nd tone pot location.

WHAT SAY YOU GUYS? Value?

Directory of photos

Teaser Photo

IMG_9261.JPG

The neck alone (even without the logo) in today’s market is 1500-2K imo. That said, probably not a high demand body although the bridge may be worth something. 12th fret markers look right. I’d say 2500 as the guys looking to buy this are gonna pirate the neck to put on their early 80s Charvel body.

The neck alone (even without the logo) in today’s market is 1500-2K imo. That said, probably not a high demand body although the bridge may be worth something. 12th fret markers look right. I’d say 2500 as the guys looking to buy this are gonna pirate the neck to put on their early 80s Charvel body.

Thank you for the info. I have a couple offers nothing that high though. I will know more tonight when I meet with this guy locally. I will post who he is tomorrow.

That’s what I’ve seen when it comes to earlier Charvel strathead necks….1500 on up to 2K. They might’ve sold for less but that’s what they’re listed for. Especially yours since it appears to be a pre pro 21 fretter.

That’s what I’ve seen when it comes to earlier Charvel strathead necks….1500 on up to 2K. They might’ve sold for less but that’s what they’re listed for. Especially yours since it appears to be a pre pro 21 fretter.

The more you know...... Thanks again man.

Sold for a fair price to a good guy.

are those replacement tuners? I think the originals should be crownheads. Would have to see more to authenticate

I briefly owned a pre-pro Charvel. An experienced guy posted on this forum that 'headstock doesn't say Charvel to me'

He was mistaken, and I may be as well...

But that headstock doesn't say Charvel to me.

I didn't look at the 100 pictures.

12 fret marker spacing, skunk stripe, and on an obvious 70s DiMarzio woodburn body point to the neck coming from Charvel; and the neck probably came blank without tuners. Remember, Charvel supplied others (DiMarzio, Mighty Mite, Schecter to name a few) with blank necks w/o hardware. This would explain the non Charvel tuners. No other mfr of necks from that time frame spaced the 12th fret markers like Charvel did.

The markings on the neck heel are similar to my pre pro and the dot spacing looks correct. Agree the USA Charvel site has great info and also has an FB page. Great score!!

Thanks man it indeed did come out to be a nice score and I can't wait to see what this dude makes of the body and neck as he has a DiMarzio neck to match to the body and a Charvel body to add to the neck and is a professional painter! He knows his stuff when it comes to these and saw it immediately and was very excited. I ship it today.

Back