Intel today announces (under NDA) octal-core technology by end of 2008.

King Crimson

Banned
If you're into this stuff, and are not familiar with "Moore's Law" (and I don't mean that fat fuck) then you should be, because it's still in affect and will remain in affect for many years to come.

Intel also said that they will be doubling the cores on their CPUs every 18-24 months.

"Beyond Quad-Core: Tera-Scale Computing

Spurred by increasing globalization, growing device intelligence,
and the explosion of digital data, Intel believes the next decade’s
applications will be much more computationally intensive than
anything we’ve seen to date. This will be the “tera eraâ€

Hunh. Well, in the last 10 years we've gone from mega to giga to tera (Terabyte drives have been available for awhile, now). If that trend continues then we'll go from tera to peta to exa in the next decade. So, really, it's the "exa era" :)

This really isn't going to affect the home user much though, right? Most software for the desktop isn't written with parallel threading in mind. I think clustering is where it's probably going to be the most beneficial.

>|<>QBB<
Xabiche":3d9f9 said:
Hunh. Well, in the last 10 years we've gone from mega to giga to tera (Terabyte drives have been available for awhile, now). If that trend continues then we'll go from tera to peta to exa in the next decade. So, really, it's the "exa era" :)

Ummm? Sources? The biggest I've seen on the market is 750gb. Seagate and Hitachi are both releasing 1 TB models in 07 i.e. they're not even on the market.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6147409.html

I don't see how TB harddrives have been around for "awhile."

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":f8a60 said:
This really isn't going to affect the home user much though, right? Most software for the desktop isn't written with parallel threading in mind. I think clustering is where it's probably going to be the most beneficial.

Well, with Windows, it will just take a little bit longer for your computer to get bogged down by all the bullshit running in the background. :D

The problem with the WIN API is that it's not thread safe so even if you wanted to, you couldn't write threaded apps. Besides, writing threaded apps is much more difficult and incurrs overhead from locking resources.

Most of the code that we write is threaded but we are moving to have our apps be either services or services with process farms behind them. It's much simpler from a programming standpoint. It's more flexible. But it also requires more resources.

>|<>QBB<
Xabiche":0e2ea said:

The point of "tera" here applies more to bandwidth throughput on base boards as well as network traffic rather than storage space.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":841fc said:

Yes it will. You think that software vendors will not want their customer base to benifit from higher performance, whatever the application.

"• Continuing to grow Intel’s commitment to developing
multi-core software tools and programs by working
closely with developers, independent software vendors
(ISVs), operating system vendors (OSVs) and academia.
Through these efforts, Intel enables the industry to
develop software that runs faster and better on our
energy-efficient performance multi-core platforms.

Coming in Q1 2007
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q6600
• Multimedia powerhouse for demanding
entertainment applications
• Ideal choice for processor intensive, highlythreaded
applications
• 2.40 GHz core speed, 1066 MHz bus speed
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® processor L5310
• Low Power version of 5300
• 50 watt thermal design point
• 1.6 GHz core speed, 1066 MHz bus speed
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® processor 3200
• For single-processor servers and workstation systems

Summary

Multi-core processors are the future of computing. As the wealth and complexity of the data around us grows, multi-core processors
will become increasingly important for helping run businesses, governments, our homes, and our entertainment. Multi-core processors
will empower the development of new usage models that will enable wide-ranging advances in everything from medicine to IT, as well
as revolutionize the digital office, digital home, computing on the go, and computer gaming.
Think of a time a decade or so from now when the full power of high performance computing and parallel processing is available to
computer users everywhere, and it might be possible to hold the power of a computer with hundreds of execution cores in the palm
of your hand. Chances are, we’ll look back and wonder how people ever managed.
"

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":6a082 said:
>|<>QBB<
The problem with the WIN API is that it's not thread safe so even if you wanted to, you couldn't write threaded apps. Besides, writing threaded apps is much more difficult and incurrs overhead from locking resources.

Would you care to be a bit more specific, because I don't agree with you statements? There are vastly more APIs then simply the WIN API which is not responsible for all multi-threading.

>|<>QBB<
King Crimson":8dbca said:
>|<>QBB<

Would you care to be a bit more specific, because I don't agree with you statements? There are vastly more APIs then simply the WIN API which is not responsible for all multi-threading.

I know that there were issues with thread creation as well as GUI weirdness. I don't recall off the top of my head. A few of the windows guys here can elaborate more. It's be a while since I did WIN32 programing and perhaps they've fixed some stuff but I a few of the C++ guys were still complaining about it.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":ca3b4 said:
>|<>QBB<

Ummm? Sources? The biggest I've seen on the market is 750gb. Seagate and Hitachi are both releasing 1 TB models in 07 i.e. they're not even on the market.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6147409.html

I don't see how TB harddrives have been around for "awhile."

They've been selling 1 TB harddrives for awhile now. I see them at Comp USA all the time:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+502503&Ne=502457&Cn=Computer_Upgrades_Hard_Drives

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":b38fb said:
>|<>QBB<

They've been selling 1 TB harddrives for awhile now. I see them at Comp USA all the time:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+502503&Ne=502457&Cn=Computer_Upgrades_Hard_Drives

Only two of those are single hard drives, the rest are disk arrays.

If you guys are interested in how stupid-fast everything is going to (exponentially) be, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Near-Humans-Transcend-Biology/dp/0143037889/sr=8-1/qid=1168551862/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0310468-4331251?ie=UTF8&s=books

2042 people, 2042 :)

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":06f9d said:
>|<>QBB<

The "LaCie Big Disk Extreme with Triple Interface 1TB Hard Drive" is RAID0 - 2 drives. All the others there are at minum RAID5. I don't beleive that anyone makes a single 1TB drive at this time.

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":6155b said:
>|<>QBB<

I know that there were issues with thread creation as well as GUI weirdness. I don't recall off the top of my head. A few of the windows guys here can elaborate more. It's be a while since I did WIN32 programing and perhaps they've fixed some stuff but I a few of the C++ guys were still complaining about it.

Fair enough. :neutral:

Back