IR question - getting different tone with same IR

saxxamafone

When I run an IR and load it into my St Rock React IR hardware... it sounds different to when I run that exact same IR in my DAW and use the St Rock's DI out.

Checked settings on the St Rock IR itself and all EQs etc are off so not sure why there would be such a difference?

what length is the IR? could be that its being truncated in either the React IR or the plugin you are using. Could also be related to sample rate

what length is the IR? could be that its being truncated in either the React IR or the plugin you are using. Could also be related to sample rate
I'm still playing around but I think it might come back to levels basically.

I'll keep tinkering but I think things are getting a bit more even once I put more effort into balancing the levels out.

The direct level from the St rock is independent to the level that's sent from the St Rock with the IR included in the chain.

When I run an IR and load it into my St Rock React IR hardware... it sounds different to when I run that exact same IR in my DAW and use the St Rock's DI out.

Checked settings on the St Rock IR itself and all EQs etc are off so not sure why there would be such a difference?

I found this to be the case for me as well. The IR sounds different loaded on the actual unit than when I used the DI out with the same IR loaded in my Fractal FM9. This lead me to believe that not all IR loaders sound the same. I never messed around with the levels, but perhaps that had something to do with it. Ultimately, I preferred the IRs loaded on the actual St. Rock hardware so that's just what I've settled on (at least for now).

Can you describe the difference you are hearing?
I haven’t used the direct out of my ReactIR yet but did hear a difference when A/B’ing between it and a different load box with the same IR on it….wondering if it’s the same phenomenon at play

I haven’t used the direct out of my ReactIR yet but did hear a difference when A/B’ing between it and a different load box with the same IR on it….wondering if it’s the same phenomenon at play
Even with the direct out, the tech in the st rock still applies when you have the resonance and reactive on or off.

I run the reactive on and resonance on. As I feel you can’t even tell the difference between it and a real cab.

I found this to be the case for me as well. The IR sounds different loaded on the actual unit than when I used the DI out with the same IR loaded in my Fractal FM9. This lead me to believe that not all IR loaders sound the same. I never messed around with the levels, but perhaps that had something to do with it. Ultimately, I preferred the IRs loaded on the actual St. Rock hardware so that's just what I've settled on (at least for now).
glad i'm not gong crazy and you've heard it too! i'll post some clips below

here's a sample of the same IR being used on the hardware unit itself and then through NadIR in my DAW.

NadIR Plugin

ST Rock Hardware

can you post a photo of your nadir settings?

Nadir isn’t flat by default, you have to adjust the filters and resonance to 0 to be flat. It could also be related to the IR length

can you post a photo of your nadir settings?

Nadir isn’t flat by default, you have to adjust the filters and resonance to 0 to be flat. It could also be related to the IR length
I couldn't see anything about IR length in my IRs

Seems to sound fine in the St rock hardware unit itself.

Below's a screen shot.

Kept it default... I tried running resonance at 0% but it sounds like a flat AM radio like that.

NadIR just sounds like it's clipping off some of the high end to me

1694322674799.png

I couldn't see anything about IR length in my IRs

Seems to sound fine in the St rock hardware unit itself.

Below's a screen shot.

Kept it default... I tried running resonance at 0% but it sounds like a flat AM radio like that.

NadIR just sounds like it's clipping off some of the high end to me

View attachment 245924
yeah those settings won’t sound flat at all, it’s low passing at 6k and the resonance will bend the curve of the IR about. Turn up the low pass to the maximum, resonance to 0 and you’re good.

You can look at the IR length by checking the length of the file. If an IR is 0.5s and the IR loader can only play up to 200ms it’ll sound different.

But I think the difference here is because Nadir’s default settings aren’t flat. It’ll sound much better when you correct that

yeah those settings won’t sound flat at all, it’s low passing at 6k and the resonance will bend the curve of the IR about. Turn up the low pass to the maximum, resonance to 0 and you’re good.

You can look at the IR length by checking the length of the file. If an IR is 0.5s and the IR loader can only play up to 200ms it’ll sound different.

But I think the difference here is because Nadir’s default settings aren’t flat. It’ll sound much better when you correct that
Thanks so much! you legend - that definitely helped a heap!

No idea why I didn't see that... brain fade over here.

I'll have to do some more research on the IR length... here's what i'm seeing on my end:

1694342637224.png

NadIR claims to have "Selectable quality control for max IR length (up to 0.5 seconds)" but I'm struggling to figure out what that is.

I think most commercial IR’s are 0.5s (500ms) or less. Pretty sure React IR loads fairly long IR’s so they should sound good there. Kemper’s have a really short maximum length, as does Suhr RLIR which makes IR’s sound like ass. Best to use an external IR loader if it truncates a lot

Hate how it always default opens like that. I wonder why it sounds like ass then remember the resonance and low pass default. :mad:

thanks for all your help guys!!

I have a Suhr reactive load here too so once i get the basics sorted now, i'm keen to try the Suhr against the St Rock.

I have a Suhr reactive load here too so once i get the basics sorted now, i'm keen to try the Suhr against the St Rock.

I've got both, I like them both. React IR has a better IR loader (if you are going to use it) and the software works well. Suhr is a bit more fun to play, a bit punchier in the low end and gets a slightly brighter response from amps. If you want to load IR's into the unit itself, the Suhr is crap. Use an external loader with the Suhr

I've got both, I like them both. React IR has a better IR loader (if you are going to use it) and the software works well. Suhr is a bit more fun to play, a bit punchier in the low end and gets a slightly brighter response from amps. If you want to load IR's into the unit itself, the Suhr is crap. Use an external loader with the Suhr
Thanks for your thoughts mate! Great to hear from someone who has both too.

I have the Suhr reactive load (the original, non-IR loader version).

At first test, the Suhr seemed to have more of a 'smiley' EQ curve, more lows and highs with a mid scoop.

Need to do more testing now I know how to use the IR plugin correctly

What external loader would you suggest?
I've been using the little Sonicake IR, not great. Torpedo WOS crapped out on me a while back. Just got a new MacBook pro. Was thinking Ignite Libra, but am open to a hardware solution.

Back