Is this the end of the tube amp?

The panic is real!

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.59.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.01.40 PM.png

No.

Without new tube amp designs, what will you have to profile?

If everyone switches to profilers, we'll be stuck with the same tones we have now, forever.
Dan, we’ll soon be digitizing ourselves, jammin’ with a Hendrix hologram at Monterey in our bedrooms…
New instruments are coming.
Drum/riff synthesizer thingy’s
I mentioned prior about LED pre-amp/power tubes.?
It can be done, but somebody needs to rewrite the fucking recipe man.
Meaning, create something totally new that can do what we know tubes amps can do without ‘caveman tubes’.
What.. are we that lacking .f’n creative brains in human evolution man?
A bloody long dry spell!!!
Ya feel me??
Only if you define "tone" as also including the idiosyncratic technique of wildly disparate guitarists from all genres.

I don't. In fact, i generally define "tone" as everything that doesn't change from player to player.
I get this.

I have had the exact same tubes in my LARRY DINO now for over 3 1/2 years,
Every once in a while, I take them out and test them…
They haven’t even changed one percent, None of them…it’s weird,
I have other amplifiers that eat tubes, like the Bogner 100B’s.
Larry must have everything running at perfect optimum levels for tone and longevity.
I crank it many hours a week, so it’s not as if a baby it…I really don’t understand it.
But it’s all good👍

I can see it now. FS: Tube amp without tubes.
I have one without the tubes..do you want it ? Just kidding..I saw the tube light back in 2015 after playing solid state forever..and still have one of the original Peavey Vypyr combo amps but man the tubes just do it for me..the feel under the fingers and how the gain just pours out the mighty distortion..theres no going back for me..

Larry must have everything running at perfect optimum levels for tone and longevity.
I crank it many hours a week, so it’s not as if a baby it…I really don’t understand it.
But it’s all good👍
Larry uses Siemens correct? They have great long life.
What tubes in your Bog?

I’m going to reach out to Craig Ness and send him a nice bottle of whiskey, post Covid he was the only seller that didn’t gouge his prices, even last month I was sourcing matched quads of eh el34s for 42$ from him, he’s a fucking champion.
Yep, I got in on that! Sent Scottosan 2 and kept 2.

But it’s all good👍

The ones in my Dino are the same that were installed in the mid 90s, I'm pretty sure.
What tubes in your Bog?
NOS Tungsram

Fan-fucking-tastic. I was just looking at tubes yesterday and prices were normal. Rhett puts out a video, and 24 hours later prices doubled or stores have sold out. Fuck Rhett and this panic pushing bullshit.
Actually they jumped late last week at most places. I literally was buying from a company that I normally buy from, put some in my cart at one price. Stepped away for a moment, went back to pay and the price had gone up - near double.

Regardless, there's very little supply out there at the moment.

I’m going to reach out to Craig Ness and send him a nice bottle of whiskey, post Covid he was the only seller that didn’t gouge his prices, even last month I was sourcing matched quads of eh el34s for 42$ from him, he’s a fucking champion.
True.

Last I checked he still had some Sino EL34's left. Might be gone now though.

Last edited:
I disagree 🤷 there's all sorts of cool newer stuff - and I don't even LIKE the newer high gain amps for the most part (revv, etc)
We will agree to disagree super Dan, Im just saying its the same western electric circuit improved on or maybe not. Its pretty hard to beat a 60`s marshall to this day.

But it’s all good👍
Its because its really solid state :hys:

They are doing same thing as gas, they already have the tubes they just jack up the price cause they know they can.

What tubes in your Bog?
Yep, Both Siemens👍
But even the preamp tubes wear faster in other amps…
The Bogner 100B’s / Wizards seem to run the power and pres harder than the Larry Dino.
BTW- Never ever had a single problem with Siemens in 35 years, and I’ve run them at 525pV in the Bogs.
All the talk about Siemens <450pV’s in my opinion is bs. OR maybe I’ve been extremely lucky🤔

It's an unfortunate situation with the hysteria pushers and people going nuts panic buying. Then the asshole scalpers that scoop up all the inventory to resell at even more outrageous prices. Anyone remember the great toilet paper shortage a few years ago? Or what about when no one could get a PS5 Xbox, Nintendo Switch. It took some time but it all evened out and this will too. If people would learn to calm the fuck down we wouldn't even be worrying much about shortages.

And if the worst case scenario did happen... Russia never exports another tube again and China never reopens, there's still going to be a demand for tubes. There are too many big amp companies that rely on tube amp sales. I doubt Marshall will go oh well no more tubes let's make SS & profilers now. They'll figure out how to have their own brand tubes. Or someone will see the opportunity, buy all the machines, and move production to another country like Taiwan, Vietnam, Mexico, India, etc.

Yep, Both Siemens👍
But even the preamp tubes wear faster in other amps…
The Bogner 100B’s / Wizards seem to run the power and pres harder than the Larry Dino.
BTW- Never ever had a single problem with Siemens in 35 years, and I’ve run them at 525pV in the Bogs.
All the talk about Siemens <450pV’s in my opinion is bs. OR maybe I’ve been extremely lucky🤔
Yeah; I agree. I read that long ago and wondered if that’s wrong? Siemens are my go to EL34 and they’ve been in every Wizard and high voltage PT Marshall I’ve owned…never had a problem.

Back