It’s Pat Travers time!

Use to play that and Gettin' Better off of Putting it Straight.
Always got the crowds rocking even though neither song was a hit.

When did Yngwie join Pat?

I like that his guitars are all utilitarian. Shows the time frame he comes from, as opposed to the "show guitars" of a lot of 80s guys

My buddy Paul’s band opened for Travers at Reggies in Chicago maybe 5 years ago, give or take. Paul had either his MK50 or his SLO there, and Travers asked if he could play through it, so of course Paul happily obliged. Travers proceeds to run some shitty POD through that killer amps power section! That’s like putting ketchup on prime rib. :LOL: To Travers’ credit, he got a killer tone out of it and he tore shit up.

My buddy Paul’s band opened for Travers at Reggies in Chicago maybe 5 years ago, give or take. Paul had either his MK50 or his SLO there, and Travers asked if he could play through it, so of course Paul happily obliged. Travers proceeds to run some shitty POD through that killer amps power section! That’s like putting ketchup on prime rib. :LOL: To Travers’ credit, he got a killer tone out of it and he tore shit up.
Pat was using a Vox Tonelab into whatever amp the venue supplied for a few years. He sounded just like when he had his own Marshalls. I don't know what he is doing now for amps. I saw a video of him just before the pandemic and he was playing a strat style guitar for most of the gig. That was weird to see.

Last edited:
Pat was using a Vox Tonelab into whatever amp the venue supplied for a few years. He sounded just like when he had his own Marshalls. I don't know what he is doing now for amps. I saw a video of him just before the pandemic and he was playing a strat style guitar for most of the gig. That was weird to see.
That may have been what he had, I’m not certain. Whatever it was it was very gritty and aggressive, and sounded great.

I saw Pat Travers at the 2004 Swedish Rock Festival in Solvesborg, Sweden. I was standing on the side of the stage. Pat's band was a trio for this show. Pat was playing a custom Gibson guitar that I've never seen before and was using the same Vox Tonelab SE modeling pedal board into a Marshall amp head effects loop return & Marshall 4x12 cabs onstage. He played a great show and good tone onstage.

Guitar George

Back