It just doesn't get anymore 80's than this

Nice!!! I was in LA in 1987, too bad I never had any money and I couldn't go to see any shows... Ahhhh, those were the good old days.

My family was out here (VA) and being a young slacker with no education and no real prospects for any kind of band I thought I'd come back home. I was out there in 87 and 88 going to GIT and burning out brain cells after school.

I joined up with a band out here (MD) in 90 and was back in Cali around 91 or 92 for about a year. Oakland was the most fun 12 months I've ever had!! I didn't work for about 9 of those months, just played guitar and rehearsed with my band. We threw keg parties and charged 3 bucks a head to pay rent a few times!! You haven't lived until you've had 350 people in your band house drinking and getting loud!!

:)

The amount of chops in that band was just scary. I used to think that singer was soo terrible but compared to crap today he doesn't sound half bad.

one of the truly great LA bands of that era. the only one i was interested in seeing over and over again. i'd always squeeze up front and it was like getting a guitar lesson from two shred masters every time!
i always thought paul's precision was on another level from yngwie, although YM did seem to have slightly more drama and passion in his playing
and i don't think the epiphone coronet did much to elicit monster tone; the body was thin like the gambale ibanez sabre=wafer thin... although it was pretty darn nice and a fast neck. billy bogner used to play one of those gtrs back in hawaii pre-racer x days, and it's bruce egnater's favorite axe as well....secret weapon?

paul had this trick where he'd play every F note on the guitar from high e to low e in rapid succesion, same pitch, and it was such a weird sound...by moving from string to string it had a sort of envelope filter effect
he would also pop on the pitch shifter and quote the opening from holdsworth's metal fatigue including the freakish legato lead line and that was also great

given the fact that they were doing this stuff 20 years ago, it really was a talented ensemble, and it was always a killer show/event to see two amazing guitarist just stretching the breaking point of speed and complexity time and time again.

me and my friends used to call jeff martin (the singer) chocolate teeth because the guy had a million fillings which made his teeth look black when he sung

i was supposed to work on a music video for bouliett's band the scream, and had a production meeting about it, but it got postponed and i never heard another word about it after that...bummer.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":2750e said:
The amount of chops in that band was just scary. I used to think that singer was soo terrible but compared to crap today he doesn't sound half bad.

Hmmm,....I don't know. I think he definitely sound much worse than "half bad" -- fairly horrible actually. There are plenty of bad singers from every era in rock music,....today's no exception, same with the 80's. But I don't think anyone that was into Racer X back in the day listened to them for the awesome singing and intensely deep lyrical content. I've never been into the super shreddy stuff or many hair bands, but I do like Paul Gilbert a lot -- he's definitely my favorite of that genre. I will admit,...I did like Mr. Big -- flame away!

8)

>|<>QBB<
Mark Cameron":b0d95 said:
I was at this show. I think I was at every Racer X show. I was at the very last Racer X show w/ Bruce, Chris Arvan and Jamie Brown from Roxanne singing (Jeff did the last 3 songs). I also saw THE ELECTRIC FENCE and Black Sheep with Paul too. The cool thing was... there was allot of great guitar players back then. Ahhhh the good ole days!! Pauls old "XOXO"guitar used to be mine too.

..the orange guitar with a million frets :huh:

Back