iTunes help needed

There are glitches from time to time like with anything else, and it's definitely not perfect (resource hog as mentioned). But overall iTunes is a freaking BRILLIANT piece of software. Why in the world anybody would want to manage a music library manually when iTunes will do it for you, better than you ever could, is beyond me. I crack up when I download stuff and I see:

Led-Zeppelin_Led-Zeppelin-IV_01_Black-Dog.mp3

Do people still actually play that game??? That's a joke. A regular foldername/filename system is a stupid-ass way to try and manage a music library. Something that creates a database of the music, and lets you view that database based on whatever bits of metadata you want to, and presents it in a sensible way...that's the way it should be done, and that's exactly what itunes does. Why in the hell would you care what the actual .mp3 file is named, or what folder it's in? Neither of those things describe the contents of the file as accurately as the metadata can. The directory structure and filenames SHOULD be hidden from the user, because they're basically useless to the end user.

I agree, it would be nice if the file restrictions weren't there (ie, that you could drag any music to anybody's ipod, or from anybody's ipod to anybody's itunes, etc.) but that's not Apple's fault. Those are the demands that were put upon them by the record companies when they first created the ipod, itunes, and the itunes store. So as far as that "feature" goes, blame the RIAA.

Back