Jackson J-90

SFW

So a few years ago I went on a Joe Holmes kick and searched for this pickup. Found it in one of my parts drawers last night and decided to load in into my Charvel. It reads at 13.2K ohms, but feels like its lower in output when playing. Definitely had to dig in a bit. Harmonics do jump out though. It definitely has that grind I hear in Joe's tone. Here's a quick clip of my playing it through my Spawn. Pardon the fat fingers...lol!

Joe is the Alnico J80, not the ceramic J90, a J90 is supposed to be like a Duncan Distortion.

paulyc":3g8br1p0 said:
Joe is the Alnico J80, not the ceramic J90, a J90 is supposed to be like a Duncan Distortion.

Yes. Joe uses the j80 in his guitars and true Jose’s.

I've read a lot of conflicting info on what he uses. Some people say J-90 and others say J-80. I actually have both pickups. I'll have to do a clip with the J-80 soon.

And yes, Geaux Tigers!

Bumping this since I picked up an 88 soloist, and the bridge pickup is a J90. It reads around 16k and is alnico...vs the J90C that's ceramic. It's definitely more of a 'hot vintage' pickup, and has a lot of clarity/harmonics. If it's supposed to be like a Duncan Distortion, it kicks the shit outta that pickup imo since I can't stand that Duncan. This one is a much better sounding pickup.
Being 16k it should be pretty hot but it's not even close to as hot as my 82 Maxon blade which measures the same 16k. Goes to show the resistance is only part of the equation.
The J90 is a killer pickup and has great feel too, almost on par with a Shaw DF. Pleasantly surprised. I like it better than the J80.

Shaw DF's RULE. Definitely my favorite hot humbucker. Last one I had, I scored on eBay for $100 when they were going for at least twice that.
Yep, I have 2 and both were not cheap but not 300$ like most were at the time. 150, and 175 is what I paid for each. They are great. Just gotta control the feedback.

Shaw DF's RULE. Definitely my favorite hot humbucker. Last one I had, I scored on eBay for $100 when they were going for at least twice that.
Some of my favorite hot pickups too along with the good vintage Bill Lawrence’s and Mighty Mites. Hard to feel satisfied playing recent made pickups after playing them

Back