JCM 800 2205 or DSL 50 for Voodoo mod?

richedie

What do you guys think is the best platform to get the best Marshall tones, Great cleans, a good effects loop, enough gain for hard rock and that Marshall crunch while working at lower to moderate club volumes?

A friend of mine uses a 1974 NMV JMP 50 and runs it on 1 or 2 so super clean but uses a pedal in front for gain. The guy has more amps than I have even seen one person have and still chooses this rig. But, I don't think the clwan is pristine enough and we play some almost acousticy clean songs. Plus, having a Plexi type amp and keeping it on 1 seems wrong. LOL. He has a clean set up though, not needing a loop.

I thought about doing this with a V-Plex but it seems the best route for a gigging musician would be the JCM 2205 or a DSL 50 as a platform for Voodoo.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't mod a 2205, but that's just me. Go ahead and Mod the DSL50 if that's the sound you're after. Or just get some good pedals/EQ/BBE.

Cheers,

racerevlon":2c3cuh6z said:
I wouldn't mod a 2205, but that's just me. Go ahead and Mod the DSL50 if that's the sound you're after. Or just get some good pedals/EQ/BBE.

Cheers,
I pretty much agree. I would go with the DSL for the Voodoo mod. My DSL with the deluxe mod has been my main amp for about 5 years now. Cleans are great, loop is quiet. I have tons of clips if you're interested.

I had a 2210 for about 12 years. I liked the stock 2210/2205 amps...much more than the stock DSL and they are harder to come by/more expensive.

Back