JCM 800, VHT Pitbull or Engl straight?

Hello everybody
New to the forum. I've been lurking guitar forums for a while now but this is the first one I've ever joined. :D

A brief history.
I got out of the band thing a few years ago and sold my JCM 800 (my first tube amp) to pay bills. I've got a hotrodded Blues Jr. for home playing now, but am looking for another live amp. I was going to try something with a little more gain than the 800, and was recently checking out amps on Ebay.
I'm looking for a combo to go from blues to garage rock to punk/thrash tones. I do like an EL-34 browner sound with tight bottom-end, plenty of mids and just enough highs to not be muddy. I've checked out videos of a lot of amps, but I don't have a very good computer sound, and even so, I find it hard to judge tone when I'm not in front of the amp. I live in a small town, so trying out amps is pretty difficult.
I'm not super-techy but I do understand the difference in most of the more popular speakers and power tubes, and how it relates to tone.

I've heard many good things about both of these amps but I was looking for some sort of a comparison to the 800 as far as tone, reliability, etc.
I also wouldn't be adverse to buying another 800 and run it with a pedal.
Or are there any other amps you guys recommend?

Trying to stay under 1000 USD as well.
thanks in advance
glad to be here
Greg

good god man there are so many. just get another 800 and a boost pedal and be done. cant go wrong with that combo at all.

Get a VHT 50 cl, you can find them really cheap on the used market $700 ish. The nostalgia around the JCM800 is causing the prices to increase. Never played an Engl, the clips on the interwebs make them sound really fizzy and thin. If you can get a VHT for $700 add a boost pedal for $100, at $800 in my opinion you won't find better tone.

Another vote for the Deliverance, I'm selling a 120 watt model if you're interested. I'm going the digital route now as my band is no longer together.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with Fryette.
I'll keep my eyes open for a Deliverance. This would be a better option than a Fryette-era Pitbull?

Dimebag, I'm really looking for a 40-60 watt. Appreciate the help though.

electrophonic.tonic":3g5et8pu said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with Fryette.
I'll keep my eyes open for a Deliverance. This would be a better option than a Fryette-era Pitbull?

Dimebag, I'm really looking for a 40-60 watt. Appreciate the help though.

Only a matter of taste .... I feel the Deliverance is a little less modern & more raw sounding than the Pitbull. Both are great amps.

I'd advise against a Fryette, unless you like cold, dry, lifeless (that's right, I said it!) tones

Even though it's not my type of amp, any Splawn would do the job nicely
Also look into a Soldano Hot Rod 50, great amp for the money (used)

I had an ENGL Straight 100 for a decade of so.. great amp - no boost needed. AND you can do warm jazz or nice raunchy blues tones with it...
And if you want to bring the metal - look up the Lynch instructional video on youtube - he's running into the ENGL.

Oops I guess I should of clarified.
The Pittbulls I've been looking at are all old VHT combos from the 90s. :)
Splawn street rod looks very good. About what I'd like as far as wattage.

Bottom line, I'll probably just lurk the classifieds and Ebay until a good deal on any of these pops up.
I appreciate everyone's help.
-Greg

I recently sold a Pittbull 45 and it covered that higher gain marshall tone well. With el84 its a bit looser than the bigger Fryettes, and has a little juiciness in it. Great amps.

Back