Jeff Loomis

JohnnyGtar

I've seen him in Jackson and Duncan ads, but haven't heard his music. I'd appreciate your advice on what stuff to check out. Thanks!

This and dead world are peak stuff . Steve smith the other guitarist shredded as good as Jeff
I have Steve's solo CD, the EssenEss project which I really like. It's a bit more on the fusion side while still somewhat heavy. I like it more than Loomis's solo stuff as it's more interesting.

I have Steve's solo CD, the EssenEss project which I really like. It's a bit more on the fusion side while still somewhat heavy. I like it more than Loomis's solo stuff as it's more interesting.
I’ll have to check that out . Is he still alive. 8 heard he died

I’ll have to check that out . Is he still alive. 8 heard he died
No, SS is alive and well, currently playing in Forbidden. You're thinking of Tim Calvert that passed, who was in both Nevermore and Forbidden. Both guys were in both bands.

Last edited:
That was my first time really listening to his playing, been a fan ever since.
Same here. I saw them at Gigantour 2005 right after that album came out, had never heard them before. They impressed me so much that the next day I went over to Media Play, bought that CD, and I've been a huge fan ever since. I've been fortunate to hang with Jeff a couple times as we have a couple mutual friends, and he's as good a person as he is a player.

The whole Nevermore catalogue in chronological order showcases Jeff's progress well. Fantastic player and really nice dude. Good tone, too.

When a friend handed me Dead Heart in a Dead World I didn't get into it for a couple of months but one day it clicked and I listened to that album front to back every day for at least eight months, always focusing my ears on a different instrument and discovering new details. The musicianship of all the members was fantastic and Warrel Dane's lyrics for the most part are intelligent and interesting. RIP Warrel Dane.

The album that introduced me to Loomis was Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black. It's a classic, I'd highly recommend listening to it.

Back