Jerky

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
I have some beef cuts from the last half of a cow I got. Butcher sucked and fucked it up. Only thing it’s good for is jerky, ground beef or feed the dogs. Plus my wife just got me a huge dehydrator so…boom….jerky recipes. I want to try biltong but not crazy about peppercorn and coriander. I have had killer homemade jerky and garbage jerky. Just wondering if you all have any suggestions or ideas for recipes you want to share.

Dissatisfied with my jerky. I am notoriously bad about just whipping up shit. I have been trained by Afro muricans for over 20 years so I will use some seasoning. Shit just doesn’t have good enough flavor. Probably where I conditioned the meat with cider vinegar and pink Himalayan salt. Just not salty enough. And I marinated it in mostly soy sauce for about 20 hours. I made it thick so that might have something to do with it also.

Try peppercorn and coriander.

:LOL:

j/k

I asked my brother as he is much further along with this than I and this was his response if it helps. His shit is goooooood :yes:

"I have gone with equal parts brown sugar and sea salt with some spices as a rub. You could go another step and put those dry ingredients and make a marinade/brine and add red wine and soy sauce. I cut very think pieces and let it soak at least 24 hours. I also gone on the lowest dehydrator setting, sometimes up to 8 hours. "

For my venison, I usually use a mix of soy, garlic powder, a bit of pepper, liquid smoke, and a dab of brown sugar.
Make it into a paste, add a bit of water to let the meat "soak" in it (you want it damp, not soaking with free liquid standing).
Marinate it for 24 hours or more.. then dehydrate.
Make sure you poke a few holes in the meat.. or if you can, vacuum seal it to get the marinade into the meat
Believe it or not, Cabela's also makes some good flavors (pre measured/packaged).

My dehydrator is just plug in and go. No adjustment. It was ok but I just didn’t dig it.
I will succeed.
They sell ones for jerky, where the heat comes in from the side, rather than the bottom. It supposedly helps dry the meat more evenly. I just have the old cheap one... I don't make enough jerky to justify the costs as I also have a smoker that doesn't get used often enough

I been using salt, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, and water. i let it soak 48 hours in the fridge covered in that mixture. i have a batch on the smoker today. Dehydrators are outta my price range but I got lots of oak I can cut. We'll see if my 2nd batch is any good later.

I been using salt, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, and water. i let it soak 48 hours in the fridge covered in that mixture. i have a batch on the smoker today. Dehydrators are outta my price range but I got lots of oak I can cut. We'll see if my 2nd batch is any good later.
Got mine for free cracker….👍

Deer sausage. Added bacon and a little ground beef. Seasoning and stuffed the casings. Finished on my traeger. Turned out really good. I think the addition of jalapeño and sharp cheddar would be killer. IMG_1208.jpeg

My traeger is a small one. Dude put it on facebook for 25 bucks. Said it wasn’t working right. Grabbed it and called my boy japetus and after cleaning it up especially the thermometer…boom…works great. That thing new is like $500….

Deer sausage. Added bacon and a little ground beef. Seasoning and stuffed the casings. Finished on my traeger. Turned out really good. I think the addition of jalapeño and sharp cheddar would be killer.View attachment 269355
Nice. I would like to make some sticks but the processing time of everything just grows and grows. The jerky is gonna take 5 hours of running that smoke box. Shooting, gutting, skinning, quartering and processing the quarters down takes me about 8 hours alone.

I really want to thump a hog I just need to start staying up really late to do it. I bought special bait you mix with corn that turns it into a liquor after a few days fermenting in the heat. The deer aren't supposed to like eating it but the hogs love it. I put it out and the deer were eating it anyways. I've never shot a hog so that is high on my list.

With MRNA vaccines moving into pork and beef my long game is abandoning store bought meat altogether. My God father from church own a small cattle ranch east of here so that is probably where I will get my beef starting next year.

My traeger is a small one. Dude put it on facebook for 25 bucks. Said it wasn’t working right. Grabbed it and called my boy japetus and after cleaning it up especially the thermometer…boom…works great. That thing new is like $500….
You should see my smoker. Made from abandoned paver bricks, cast iron grill tops I robbed from a rusted old grill, and a piece of corrugated tin for the cover with rocks to hold it down, lol. Zero dollars. It really works well. I really need to enlarge it but that would cost money. If I decide to stay here I will probably build a smokehouse considering how often I use it. If we make it through the election without self destructing as a nation I'm maybe ooking at a move to someplace very rural. Wayne is actually one of the places on my list to consider. I'm restless, so is my ol' lady.

Nice. I would like to make some sticks but the processing time of everything just grows and grows. The jerky is gonna take 5 hours of running that smoke box. Shooting, gutting, skinning, quartering and processing the quarters down takes me about 8 hours alone.

I really want to thump a hog I just need to start staying up really late to do it. I bought special bait you mix with corn that turns it into a liquor after a few days fermenting in the heat. The deer aren't supposed to like eating it but the hogs love it. I put it out and the deer were eating it anyways. I've never shot a hog so that is high on my list.

With MRNA vaccines moving into pork and beef my long game is abandoning store bought meat altogether. My God father from church own a small cattle ranch east of here so that is probably where I will get my beef starting next year.
I don’t smoke my jerky…usually add liquid smoke though. I might try it with that traeger. That sausage is excellent though. I could have hung it and dry cured it but didn’t feel like listening to momma run that hole under her nose. She just cleaned the back fridge. The recipe called for pink cure so it would have been fine probably.

I don’t smoke my jerky…usually add liquid smoke though. I might try it with that traeger. That sausage is excellent though. I could have hung it and dry cured it but didn’t feel like listening to momma run that hole under her nose. She just cleaned the back fridge. The recipe called for pink cure so it would have been fine probably.

It's worth a shot to see if you like it. Your Traeger probably demands less firebox management than my homemade job. I'm basically cold smoking it. Temp in the smoker right now is maybe 120 degrees. I do everything by hand, including checking the temp even when I'm smoking brisket. I suck at cooking but I am pretty good at cooking and smoking meat. I still suck at ribs though. Big time. Every cut is like it's own art to get it right.

Back