Jim Wagner Iron Man bridge pickup! - (YouTube clip added)

firejack":3aaxd11x said:
Beyond Black":3aaxd11x said:
The Ironman kills. It's fat, juicy and really smooth, yet still has a grind to it. A very sweet sounding pickup. It'll handle anything you throw at it. The Darkburst is the best neck pickup on the planet. :rock:
Right on brother. Hey out of curiosity, have you tried the Godwood neck? How does it compare to the Darkburst neck? Because your description "The DB has excellent sustain. It really sings. It's extremely warm with plenty of low end, without getting flubby or muddy like many neck pups do. It's always defined and articulate." is exactly my experience of the Godwood neck.

jaybird":3aaxd11x said:
hmm may have pickup GAS now!!!
Man I wish I'd discovered Jim Wagner's pickups sooner. Always shied away from them as they were a little bit more expensive than MCP's and BKP's. For me, they are totally worth the little bit extra. So awesome!

glip22":3aaxd11x said:
LOL! That's why they are in three of my axes :thumbsup: Don't overlook the Filmores. They are killer also! Higher output and great mids. I think they are around 12k dc. Not as high as the IM. The IM doesnt seem like it's as high DC as is. It's killer!
Heya mate have you tried the Darkburst bridge? If so, how does the Fillmore compare?
I had a DB neck with a Crossroads bridge. I have not tried the Darkburst bridge. My thoughts are that the Filmore sits on it's own. The Crossroads was too low output for me. I had a Godwood as well three other times. My 2 favorite of what I tried are the Iron Mans and Filmores. The DB and CR's were more in the PAF camp. The Filmores really surprised me with the output and the mids are especially sweet. It's a great pickup as well. I have a set in my Mcnaught VSC and will never swap it out.

thegame":1f8w7zha said:
Same exact experience here. Tried those others prior to Wagner, no comparison at all.
Wagner>BKP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MCP

Besides Wagner the only other boutique pup I've been equally wowed by is a Tom Holmes H450. That is pure old school PAF magic.
Yeah I'd have to agree, except I prefer Motor City over Bare Knuckle.
Personally I feel there's quite a bit more of that magical "something" going on with the Wagner pickups. When I had my first JWP experience with the Darkburst bridge/Godwood neck combo, I was astounded how much better they sounded and responded compared to everything else I'd ever tried before. Especially the Godwood neck. It completely floored me.

jaybird":232tog1c said:
Interesting - I have an Afwayu set in my Les Paul - what didn't you like about the Afwayu? I do like them, but they do have a tad too much bottom and sound a little hi-fi , but guess I've just gotten used to it now. But this peaks my interest. What neck PUP are you using with the Iron Man?
Yeah the lows and its over-the-top compression. I was always trying to control the exaggerated bass by rolling down my lows and depth control on my amp, and forever tinkering with the pickup height to tame the thickness and compression. I found them generally lacking in the kind of character that I like in a bridge pickup. I could see them working for other setups/guitars. But for me and mine they were a bad matchup.

At the moment my Iron Man bridge is in a mexican Strat with some Fender Eric Johnson Signature single-coils. Funny that with all the Iron Man's power, the single-coils don't get too over-powered by it. Totally usable.

I have an Iron Man set ready and waiting for my Ormsby Floyd guitar:

34q0e8n.jpg

I picked up the Iron Man set in the RigTalk classifieds a while back. The guitar should be completed in a couple months. I'll be able to post about the full Iron Man set when it's done. But generally my goto neck pickup has become the Godwood neck. It seems to match up well with any guitar/bridge pickup combo. Best neck pickup I've tried thus far. If the Iron Man neck doesn't work out, I'll be emailing Jim Wagner right away for a Godwood neck to replace it.

Felt the same about the Afwayu in a custom shop les Paul I replaced it with a Wolfetone Monkeybucker 16k A8 magnet going to check that ironman though .

firejack":2aerx752 said:
Beyond Black":2aerx752 said:
The Ironman kills. It's fat, juicy and really smooth, yet still has a grind to it. A very sweet sounding pickup. It'll handle anything you throw at it. The Darkburst is the best neck pickup on the planet. :rock:
Right on brother. Hey out of curiosity, have you tried the Godwood neck? How does it compare to the Darkburst neck? Because your description "The DB has excellent sustain. It really sings. It's extremely warm with plenty of low end, without getting flubby or muddy like many neck pups do. It's always defined and articulate." is exactly my experience of the Godwood neck.

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with the GW neck, so I really can't make a very accurate comparison of the two. Godwood bridge, yes, and it's phenomenal!
My buddy has a Mcnaught Phoenix that doesn't come out too often that has a pair of GW's, and they both sound amazing. But when he got a Mcnaught SC with a pair of DB's, our jaws hit the floor when we heard the DB neck. The difference is probably mimimal though, because I haven't heard a WRC pup yet that doesn't rule. Of all the guitars that him and I have loaded with all kinds of boutique pups, the DB is definitely the standout for the neck position. All I can say is try one out, you will not regret it. :thumbsup:

Love the Godwood set in my Explorer. Guitar sounds so good now.
I want to replace the pickups in my hss American Pro, and wonder which Wagner to use it in the bridge spot. Maybe a Darkburst.
Anyone know what’s up with the JWP single coil pups?

thegame":2vis93hd said:
firejack":2vis93hd said:
Man I wish I'd discovered Jim Wagner's pickups sooner. Always shied away from them as they were a little bit more expensive than MCP's and BKP's. For me, they are totally worth the little bit extra. So awesome!

Same exact experience here. Tried those others prior to Wagner, no comparison at all.
Wagner>BKP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MCP

Besides Wagner the only other boutique pup I've been equally wowed by is a Tom Holmes H450. That is pure old school PAF magic.
Serious? BKP so much better than MotorcityPickups? Damn, I was really about ordering a 2ndDBB but if they are this terrible even compared to Bareknuckles I guess I should really avoid touching them with a long stick :scared: there are so many enthusiastic reviews about them I'm really shocked

FWIW, I found an older thread on the My Les Paul forum where someone emailed Jim about the differences between the Godwood and Darkburst necks and he said the DB is wound at 8.3 and the GW 8.5, but otherwise they’re identical and that even a dog probably wouldn’t hear a difference

I’ve only tried his Godwood pickups, but I remember they sounded really great. I’m curious how I’d like the Fillmores, Iron Man or Ice Bucker in comparison. I like that the Ice Bucker is supposed to be tighter, but not sure how I feel about the assymetrical part. I’ve not liked those as much because they usually sound hollow or more single coil like from my experience when assymetrical, but I’m still curious

Zado":3sutp9vt said:
Serious? BKP so much better than MotorcityPickups? Damn, I was really about ordering a 2ndDBB but if they are this terrible even compared to Bareknuckles I guess I should really avoid touching them with a long stick :scared: there are so many enthusiastic reviews about them I'm really shocked

Not as shocked as I was when I got my set of MCP Detroiters. I've had other pickups which I've disliked but understood how they could work for other people but these MCP just sounded plain wrong. They were the least in your face humbuckers I've ever tried, very blanketed with overdrive and felt like a single coil as far as how it pushed, or didn't push, the amp. Their only redeeming quality was the clean tone, but I feel even that was only as good as it was due to them being unpotted. Yes they were wired correctly and tried in two different guitars. And the customer service was worse than the pickup ! Maybe I got a lemon. Probably not as what are the chances of receiving two lemons in the same set ? Never again.

braintheory":1pxwhchi said:
FWIW, I found an older thread on the My Les Paul forum where someone emailed Jim about the differences between the Godwood and Darkburst necks and he said the DB is wound at 8.3 and the GW 8.5, but otherwise they’re identical and that even a dog probably wouldn’t hear a difference

I’ve only tried his Godwood pickups, but I remember they sounded really great. I’m curious how I’d like the Fillmores, Iron Man or Ice Bucker in comparison. I like that the Ice Bucker is supposed to be tighter, but not sure how I feel about the assymetrical part. I’ve not liked those as much because they usually sound hollow or more single coil like from my experience when assymetrical, but I’m still curious

I hear you about the asymmetrical aspect and I wouldn't like them myself if they were hollow or single coil like but they are plenty fat and thick. Not as fat/thick as the Godwood but no one will find them thin I can assure you. Some lower output examples of P.A.F.s (real ones and from the myriad of boutique winders) can indeed sound hollow and a bit single coil like but not the Icebuckers. Realize that there are varying degrees of the coils being wound asymmetrically and I believe the IB's are wound slightly asymmetrical.

firejack":257x1w8a said:
I love that about JWP pickups. They sing and squeal and squawk like nothing else. Almost like they are unpotted and out of control, but yet it's easily controllable with your pick and fingers.

Yes, as good as they sound its the feel that puts them over the top. They are not potted with the usual wax but with a substance of Jim's own concoction. He should bottle it and sell it in health food stores lol

thegame":1pc4bkua said:
Zado":1pc4bkua said:

Not as shocked as I was when I got my set of MCP Detroiters. I've had other pickups which I've disliked but understood how they could work for other people but these MCP just sounded plain wrong. They were the least in your face humbuckers I've ever tried, very blanketed with overdrive and felt like a single coil as far as how it pushed, or didn't push, the amp. Their only redeeming quality was the clean tone, but I feel even that was only as good as it was due to them being unpotted. Yes they were wired correctly and tried in two different guitars. And the customer service was worse than the pickup ! Maybe I got a lemon. Probably not as what are the chances of receiving two lemons in the same set ? Never again.
This is the very first time I've read something bad about MCP, the brand is usually associated with descriptions like "3d sounding", "raw", "organic", "articulate", "muscular", but never seen anything like "blanketed". Damn this is confusing me big time :confused: I live in Europe, so there are very few of them to try (or even buy used), and web reviews are pretty much the only source I can rely on.

What pickups would you suggest for a bolt on superstrat (quite dark sounding too) with vintage-medium output but raw, quite open sounding and with harmonically rich character? Please no WCR as they are painly expensive to import here...

Zado":ihl7iihw said:
thegame":ihl7iihw said:
Zado":ihl7iihw said:

This is the very first time I've read something bad about MCP, the brand is usually associated with descriptions like "3d sounding", "raw", "organic", "articulate", "muscular", but never seen anything like "blanketed". Damn this is confusing me big time :confused: I live in Europe, so there are very few of them to try (or even buy used), and web reviews are pretty much the only source I can rely on.

What pickups would you suggest for a bolt on superstrat (quite dark sounding too) with vintage-medium output but raw, quite open sounding and with harmonically rich character? Please no WCR as they are painly expensive to import here...

In your previous post you said you were considering a MCP set. They are slightly less expensive than WCR yet both are US based. So if WCR is too expensive to import then MCP must be as well. I've never owned a bolt on superstrat so I cannot help you there. If anything I'd suggest stick with BKP. Good luck

thegame":5tev9znb said:
Zado":5tev9znb said:
thegame":5tev9znb said:
Zado":5tev9znb said:

In your previous post you said you were considering a MCP set. They are slightly less expensive than WCR yet both are US based. So if WCR is too expensive to import then MCP must be as well. I've never owned a bolt on superstrat so I cannot help you there. If anything I'd suggest stick with BKP. Good luck
True, but for some reason those I know who bought a MCP spent way less than those who got a Wcr..no idea why, maybe the usual duties things. About the BKPs, I'm not really a fan, I liked those I've tried for a certain time but annoyed me quickly. I was considering Suhrs as well, the humbuckers are nice, or some Schecters.
My only gripe is that MCP, wolfetones and WCRs are considered the holy grail of pickup winders (escluding those PAF dedicated like Throbak, Stephen, Holmes and so on) and was curious about those. Wolfetone Marshallhead btw?

thegame":28kxfsdk said:
braintheory":28kxfsdk said:

I hear you about the asymmetrical aspect and I wouldn't like them myself if they were hollow or single coil like but they are plenty fat and thick. Not as fat/thick as the Godwood but no one will find them thin I can assure you. Some lower output examples of P.A.F.s (real ones and from the myriad of boutique winders) can indeed sound hollow and a bit single coil like but not the Icebuckers. Realize that there are varying degrees of the coils being wound asymmetrically and I believe the IB's are wound slightly asymmetrical.
So does it basically sound like the Godwood, but a little tighter, brighter and less thick, growly?

braintheory":koictke0 said:
thegame":koictke0 said:
braintheory":koictke0 said:

So does it basically sound like the Godwood, but a little tighter, brighter and less thick, growly?

Not at all from what I remember. I much preferred the Filmores to the Godwoods, not that the Godwoods are bad. Neither are like the Iron Man. Iron Man is Alnico 8. Filmores had the most mids. Iron Mans are thicker and tighter while at the same time having that non sterile bucker tone in spades. They have a wide note separation where as each note is rounder. Way better than the Warpig in Ceramic or Alnico to my ears fwiw. I have had both. Warpig for comparison sake with the 22dc. The IM doesn't come across as being high DC. My fav higher output pickup.

glip22":imtmpjce said:
braintheory":imtmpjce said:
thegame":imtmpjce said:
braintheory":imtmpjce said:

Not at all from what I remember. I much preferred the Filmores to the Godwoods, not that the Godwoods are bad. Neither are like the Iron Man. Iron Man is Alnico 8. Filmores had the most mids. Iron Mans are thicker and tighter while at the same time having that non sterile bucker tone in spades. They have a wide note separation where as each note is rounder. Way better than the Warpig in Ceramic or Alnico to my ears fwiw. I have had both. Warpig for comparison sake with the 22dc. The IM doesn't come across as being high DC. My fav higher output pickup.

I've been on the fence about picking up a Warpig, so this comment interests me. You like the Iron Man for the heavy stuff more than the Warpig??? I just noticed his sight shows the Iron Man as Ceramic 8.

MetalHeadMike":2mgnldf6 said:
glip22":2mgnldf6 said:
braintheory":2mgnldf6 said:
thegame":2mgnldf6 said:
braintheory":2mgnldf6 said:

I've been on the fence about picking up a Warpig, so this comment interests me. You like the Iron Man for the heavy stuff more than the Warpig??? I just noticed his sight shows the Iron Man as Ceramic 8.
Th\=======-e Warpig was cool but there was something I didn't love in the mids. Bareknuckles are great for clarity. Every one I tried, which has been many since there were no US dealers and I ordered directly from Tim, lacked the punch of Duncans per say. They have the clarity but I like that punch. The Iron Mans punch hard.

glip22":2mho2271 said:
MetalHeadMike":2mho2271 said:
glip22":2mho2271 said:
braintheory":2mho2271 said:
thegame":2mho2271 said:
braintheory":2mho2271 said:

Th\=======-e Warpig was cool but there was something I didn't love in the mids. Bareknuckles are great for clarity. Every one I tried, which has been many since there were no US dealers and I ordered directly from Tim, lacked the punch of Duncans per say. They have the clarity but I like that punch. The Iron Mans punch hard.
Sounds like I might need to take the Iron Man into consideration. Thanks!

glip22":3gyo77py said:
braintheory":3gyo77py said:
thegame":3gyo77py said:
braintheory":3gyo77py said:

No I meant the Godwood compared to the Ice Bucker, but that’s still interesting to hear how it compares to the Fillmore and Iron Man. So between those 3 you’ve had, which would you say is the most gritty/growly?

The Iron Man sounds very cool, but I’m worried if maybe it would be too smooth or dark for my taste, although I guess I can also get it in ceramic

Back