JJ E83CC?

Well, when you say "newest" we're talking almost the last 30 years or something aren't we? They haven't made the square foil getter ones in a long ass time and I have barely ever seen them for sale anywhere in years, so yeah I'm talking about current production.

Wait, scratch that, they aren't really current anymore because the factory burned down.
They are back in production.

That’s not a bad price at all if they actually do work. Nothing was coming up at all with me searching for terms like “chinese 12ax7 square getter.” Did any other amp manufacturers use these as OEM preamp tubes in that time period?
Search for chinese 12ax7 foil getter

I guess to disambiguate the term, I find the Chinese 12ax7 to add a sort of indistinct noise of some kind in the upper midrange. Maybe fizz is the wrong word, maybe it's hairy or dirty sounding. I know a lot of guys find them to be more aggressive sounding but I guess they never come across that way to me. I would agree as far as EQ curve the Tung-Sol is brighter/sharper sounding, but they're also cleaner and punchier sounding. Sometimes it's too much for some amps.

I agree about the new CV4004, they are kind of like a slightly less gainy, more balanced Tung Sol. I have a handful of them. They were actually a very good fit in my Deluxe Reverb's V1 and V2.
I hear that same sound - like a sloppy unorganized muffle. It’s why I hate JJ preamp tubes and their power tubes are completely unreliable these days.

The CC is a good tube to tighten up a low mid dominant high gainer. Almost has an effect like an SD-1 set clean boost.

But be careful putting them in the wrong amp as they can create that blizzard of nails/breaking glass tone.
Sounds interesting. More so than a TungSol or an EH?

I just spent this morning tube swapping in V1 of my Landry Lexi and Bogner Goldfinger 45-SL. Hands down the winner is this JJ E83cc. I compared it to a Tung-Sol RI and the usual JJ ECC83.

The E83cc is a musically balanced tube eq wise. No harsh highs, the bass is tight without being boomy. VERY NICE MIDS!

The Tung-Sol is brighter, but lacks the mids of the 83cc. It's a great tube and has been my favorite for a long time even though the highs can be a little over the top. Both the TS and e83cc have a tight low end.

The difference between the 83cc and the ecc83 is night and day. The clarity is immediately heard due to it being a neutral sounding 12ax7. It's brighter than the ecc83. The ecc83 has very thick mids (lower mids) that is probably why many say it's dark, muddy, etc.

I just love this JJ E83cc offering. If you don't like the JJ Ecc83 because it is dark, give this one a try. If you like a TS but not as bright plus slightly thicker mids, then the E83cc is a great choice.

Forgot to mention the E83cc has a low noise floor!

I have them in my Splawn Nitro. Really like them. Bright and acceptable noise level.

Took out that fizz that Chinese tubes had and helped tighten up the gain.. at least to my ears.

I also found the JJ ECC83S tubes to be darker and somewhat full.

Good luck
How I felt too

I just spent this morning tube swapping in V1 of my Landry Lexi and Bogner Goldfinger 45-SL. Hands down the winner is this JJ E83cc. I compared it to a Tung-Sol RI and the usual JJ ECC83.

The E83cc is a musically balanced tube eq wise. No harsh highs, the bass is tight without being boomy. VERY NICE MIDS!

The Tung-Sol is brighter, but lacks the mids of the 83cc. It's a great tube and has been my favorite for a long time even though the highs can be a little over the top. Both the TS and e83cc have a tight low end.

The difference between the 83cc and the ecc83 is night and day. The clarity is immediately heard due to it being a neutral sounding 12ax7. It's brighter than the ecc83. The ecc83 has very thick mids (lower mids) that is probably why many say it's dark, muddy, etc.

I just love this JJ E83cc offering. If you don't like the JJ Ecc83 because it is dark, give this one a try. If you like a TS but not as bright plus slightly thicker mids, then the E83cc is a great choice.

Forgot to mention the E83cc has a low noise floor!
Try the Svetlana 12AX7. Very similar to the Tung Sol in the clarity and voicing department, just slightly darker up top. And cheaper.

I think the secret behind the Tung Sol's clarity is that it's kinda scooped in the low mids. Complete opposite of the JJ ECC83S, as you mentioned. The Svetlana is kinda like that too, just darker, but not as dark as an ECC83S.

Last edited:
Try the Svetlana 12AX7. Very similar to the Tung Sol in the clarity and voicing department, just slightly darker up top. And cheaper.

I think the secret behind the Tung Sol's clarity is that it's kinda scooped in the low mids. Complete opposite of the JJ ECC83S, as you mentioned. The Svetlana is kinda like that too, just darker, but not as dark as an ECC83S. Which I honestly find that it's slightly scooped in the high-mids, rather.
Thanks. I'll look into trying the Svetlanas.

Good info, I just got my order in the other day but haven’t had a chance to test them out yet.

So got to try out the new E83CC for a bit today...It was pretty much as advertised..bright-ish..defined and articulate, but the low end was not quite as tight as expected...kinda rounded off a bit., but not flubby.

A cool surprise was the Psvane I also bought.

My normal reference/always V1 tube in my Fireball is a long black plate Raytheon. The Psvane compares very favorably to that. The biggest surprise was on the clean channel...the Psvane had a "3d-ish" quality to it...almost an audible "glow"...gotta love us guitar players with our abstract crazy terms to describe what we hear.
Highly recommend trying the Psvane out..I got mine from Tube Depot.

I have a set. They are good, 'brighter and quieter than a standard JJ ECC83. The Frame Grid design allows a tighter winding of the Grid Wire for benefits already mentioned. . It's all good.

BTW, I would never describe a JJ ECC83 as fizzy.. Most people would say they are dark. But turns out that they work great in amps with a lot of gain stages because they stay tight.
nailed it

So got to try out the new E83CC for a bit today...It was pretty much as advertised..bright-ish..defined and articulate, but the low end was not quite as tight as expected...kinda rounded off a bit., but not flubby.

A cool surprise was the Psvane I also bought.

My normal reference/always V1 tube in my Fireball is a long black plate Raytheon. The Psvane compares very favorably to that. The biggest surprise was on the clean channel...the Psvane had a "3d-ish" quality to it...almost an audible "glow"...gotta love us guitar players with our abstract crazy terms to describe what we hear.
Highly recommend trying the Psvane out..I got mine from Tube Depot.
Did you get the Psvane "standard" or did you opt for the high gain, low noise/microphones etc.

The reg Psvane sounds really good in V2 of a Deliverance 120, have mine loaded with a Ruby AC5 HG+ in V1 and Psyvane in V2. Recorded clips so I could compare with different tube swaps and thats the combo that won out for me.

Back