Josh Homme Discussion

Now every local scene is cursed with 45 "stoner doom" bands with terrible guitar tones and IrOniC lyrics and imagery
What I hate about a lot of stoner music is they’ll take one riff/idea from Sabbath that is 1/10th of what Sabbath did or could do and made it their entire sound, all the time. Or they just flat out copy Sleep or Electric Wizard. Usually at a constant medium to slow tempo. It’s so fucking boring. Especially the drone bands. I like the basic sound but need variety in the tempo and arrangements. It’s why I dig Fu Manchu. Those guys rock out with it and their lyrics are more fun. The first few, The Sword records also rock out with it.

FWIW, I really liked Blues for the Red Sun when it came out but haven’t listened to it in a very long time, but I always dug Garcia’s voice. He has a lot of good songs with Unida.

Now every local scene is cursed with 45 "stoner doom" bands with terrible guitar tones and IrOniC lyrics and imagery
Dude it's been this way for awhile now. 100000 dooooom stoner bands all sounding the same because they are just lazy and want to bang on a Drop B guitar and sound huge. Thing is, almost none of them sound huge...and can't capture the original feel of shit like Sleep and those bands did.

Dude it's been this way for awhile now. 100000 dooooom stoner bands all sounding the same because they are just lazy and want to bang on a Drop B guitar and sound huge. Thing is, almost none of them sound huge...and can't capture the original feel of shit like Sleep and those bands did.

I honestly wish a different subgenre of doom caught on and became a "thing"

Like, can you imagine if one of those crazy funeral doom bands started a copycat craze? that would be way the fuck cooler than the Kyuss worship

I honestly wish a different subgenre of doom caught on and became a "thing"

Like, can you imagine if one of those crazy funeral doom bands started a copycat craze? that would be way the fuck cooler than the Kyuss worship

Kinda reminds me of a Skyrim music playlist I have.

I think it’s a gateway genre for people who aren’t that good. I mean they do like the sound and all but think about how much of a rudimentary player you need to be on all instruments to play simple stoner stuff at medium and slow tempos.

I don’t have any feelings about Homme as a person or musician but can I say, after a decent amount of fame and financial success, do these motherfuckers also get to keep, great hair and perfect beards, while seeming to age well after years of drugs and alcohol? That’s the shit that makes me angry! Let me at least have, that they’re on a serious medication or have back problems!

I enjoy a lot of his stuff, but I think his reason is 100% self absorbed bullshit. Do we watch rig rundowns so we can buy all the same gear as some dude and try to copy their sound? Fuck no. I watch them just because It's always interesting to see what other people are using.

Although I do like some of his music, Homme seems like he's a bit full of himself.

I don’t have any feelings about Homme as a person or musician but can I say, after a decent amount of fame and financial success, do these motherfuckers also get to keep, great hair and perfect beards, while seeming to age well after years of drugs and alcohol? That’s the shit that makes me angry! Let me at least have, that they’re on a serious medication or have back problems!
Not everything is what it seems. Hollywood stylists can make anyone look like a million bucks...

Mystery solved. Peavey decade amp, lol.

Looks like an Echopark Vibramatic in that clip. I only know of it because Charlie Starr, who I dig, uses one.
Josh Homme, I couldn't care less about. He's worked with a lot of people I dig, but he does 0 for me.

IMG_1956.jpeg

Believe…..

i have, to me its C grade stoner rock :dunno: queens of the stone age do nothing for me, eagles of death metal is not good, and them crooked vultures, who i was super pumped for is among the worst bands ive ever heard, never have i been so excited for a band and so let

Check out the first couple queens of the Stone Age albums if you haven’t already. There is some good stuff on there, at least I think so.

Check out the first couple queens of the Stone Age albums if you haven’t already. There is some good stuff on there, at least I think so.
They’re a weird band in where they write one or two super catchy songs that crushed on the radio and MTV but then had so much ordinary filler on the albums.

Back