Just got done blasting the Angry Hippie...

fearhk213

...and it freaking smokes!!! I've been jamming with some new cats lately doing a Mastodon/Tool kind of project and I've been going back and forth between my Angry Hippie, Cameron HG Jose Marshall, and Cameron Uber trying to decide which will be the main head for this project. Each of these heads rips and does things I've never heard other amps do, but I'm really leaning towards the Hippie for this project. It's got this gainy, articulate, thick, uncompressed-organic sound that just fills the room. It really has that whole vintage meets modern sound going on; it's got this old school Marshall vibe through and through, but with more gain, tightness, and articulation. Also, it's one of the few amps I've played that really excels at going from clean to full on rip your face off with just your guitar's volume knob. It's dynamic as all get out. Another thing I love about this amp is that you can just grab a note and make it feedback. This head or mod is definitely worth checking out. Just a side note to any of those considering checking one out, make sure to try it at 16 ohms. IMO this head sounds 1000x better running 16 ohms instead of 8. Very noticeable difference.

Cool man, I got to play an Angry Hippie Dave had at Tone Merchants - that is a very fun amp to play!!!! What are the tone differences of 8 vs. 16 ohms?

I found that running it at 16 ohms smoothes out and polishes the tone a little bit. The tonal response of the amp is more even. The amp isn't bass heavy to, but 16 ohms gives the "oomph" I found missing at 8 ohms. It compresses it a little bit too so I'm sure that's a factor. Power chords are much more pleasing at 16 ohms too. Even though it adds a little compression it's still an incredibly open amp with tons of clarity and articulation. I find it easier to dial in too. The biggest difference is probably the feel though. At 8 ohms it's a little stiff, but 16 ohms is so dynamic and responsive. I hope that helps.

Any chance that you could do a little clip of the Angry Hippie ?

I am into the same type of music (Tool) and I am debatting between an Angry Hippie or one of the other mod (Hairy brown , custom 45).

Thanks.

krid":k6whs40m said:
Any chance that you could do a little clip of the Angry Hippie ?

I am into the same type of music (Tool) and I am debatting between an Angry Hippie or one of the other mod (Hairy brown , custom 45).

Thanks.

I don't really have a way of recording anything over at the practice space at the moment. I hope to pick up an edirol soon, so if I can grab one of those I will.

Back