Just in case you weren't sick of V30 threads.. Now with Mark content!

GJgo

I've been sharing some reamping I'm working on with @Racerxrated and @Beyond Black and since I cleaned things up thought I should share with the whole class. So last weekend I picked up a couple Mark Vs and a Marshall 2551AV cab (loaded with Marshall Vintage speakers) from a guy who was offloading some gear. I've been having some fun this week forming some thoughts.

I've had 90, 35 & 25 W Mark Vs before but it's been a while. I was always a bit underwhelmed with the 90W through Mesa cabs. When I jacked this one into the Marshall cab everything changed- the dullness on the top end was gone, and the amp was sounding great-ish. Ish? Well, to my ear the C+ mode still pales to the OG C+. Next, in the room the IV mode doesn't stand up to the OG either- however, A/Bing in the band at rehearsal the IV mode does hold its own in the live mix. Besides that and the good part- I now feel that Mark 1 mode is the most aggressive high gain tone in the amp, and generally pretty kick ass. HUGE chug. Running that through the Marshall cab the tone is The Black Album in a can, more so than any other setup I have. (Although this doesn't seem to translate to the Mic..) So I wondered, how does it record? Easily, actually. Once I figured out that I needed to reposition my mic to damn near the center of the dust cap (which there's no way I would do this with the OGs) it recorded very easily and seemed more mix-ready than the OGs.

Next on to the AV cab. When I first jacked in the OGs in the room it seemed super top endy and hard on the ears. The funny thing is, I'm not hearing that at all on the mic. It really seems to record well. So here we are- check this out, level matched as best as I could. Are there any tones that stand out to you?

In The Mix 0:01
Guitar Only 1:03

the v30s sound better. the G12 has some kind of distant sound i notice with mine as well, i never did bond very well with that speaker

the v30s sound better. the G12 has some kind of distant sound i notice with mine as well, i never did bond very well with that speaker
I like it least with my Recto FWIW. What amps have you tried it with?

The G12s sound good to me, but im just not a mark fan normally so grain of salt.

Interestingly, my favorite marks have always been the III and IV

I seem to gravitate towards the marshall cabs with mark amps.

I would probably mess around a little more with the mic positioning on the marshall cabs, but great tones and great video man!

Yeah I was running the mic closer to center on the Marshall cab than on the Mesa cab. Seemed fairly balanced like that. What I generally try to do is find the mic position that makes what I'm hearing in the monitors about the same as what I'm hearing in the room. Not always easy to do!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, all clips are Chiron boosted.

Last edited:
Yeah I was running the mic 1 1/8" closer to center on the Marshall cab than on the Mesa cab. Seemed fairly balanced like that. What I generally try to do is find the mic position that makes what I'm hearing in the monitors about the same as what I'm hearing in the room. Not always easy to do!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, all clips are Chiron boosted.

I love the chiron as a boost. Wayne makes great stuff. I've had really great results with mine

I like it least with my Recto FWIW. What amps have you tried it with?

i dont know if i even tried my recto with it, i did try just the other day with my iic+ and a couple others and it just wasnt happening for me, im not even totally sure how to describe it but its similar to what im hearing in your clip, its like a weird scoop with a almost greenback textured top end. i didnt even save the clips i did with them cause i wasnt feeling it, maybe ill try again. im pretty much all about T75's and G12-65s now

i dont know if i even tried my recto with it, i did try just the other day with my iic+ and a couple others and it just wasnt happening for me, im not even totally sure how to describe it but its similar to what im hearing in your clip, its like a weird scoop with a almost greenback textured top end. i didnt even save the clips i did with them cause i wasnt feeling it, maybe ill try again. im pretty much all about T75's and G12-65s now

Ever since I grabbed racers vented t75 cabinet, i've found myself using it alot more - especially for recording stuff

Ever since I grabbed racers vented t75 cabinet, i've found myself using it alot more - especially for recording stuff

a vented T75 is one of the few things on my list to grab, i just dont have room for another 4x12 and i dont see too many singular ones pop up

I can totally see that. To me the 16 ohm speakers have that more textured top end. In the room it seems "brighter" to me for that reason, I was surprised that I liked the captures quite a bit more than what I was hearing in the room with the C+.

IIC+ and IVb through the V30's sound the best to me, not that the V's mark I mode is that bad though. You have an older clip of a IIC+ through T75's and that gets very close to the MOP tone IMO.

Listening again, I really dig the sound your getting from the IVb through the V30, it sounds killer... I think I like it more than the IIC+ to be honest, it has less of that top end noisy stuff going on, darker yet still killer.

Thanks man. I'm a big fan of the IVb. I think it's the sweet spot of all Marks. That and the IIB+, which mine sounds a lot like the IVb, are my favorite Marks in the live band for sure.

Back