King Diamond - Andy LaRocque

King Diamond was the last concert I saw before Covid. Andy was awesome, and Mike Wead was far from a slouch. People really get nostalgic about Andy and Pete, but I found Pete's playing to be a bit sloppy, in particular when next to Andy. Mike's playing is much cleaner.

I've been a fan since the "Them" days, and I think the first MF album I had was Return of the Vampire. I have everything else he's done otherwise - incredible listening, today, yesterday, or otherwise.

Andy is a great player for sure, and really the main reason I listen to King Diamond (I'm one of those guys who vastly prefers early Mercyful Fate in terms of overall songwriting). Another really underrated player that was briefly in KD's band is Michael Moon, Swedish guitarist who was in the band Madison. I religiously listen to that first Madison album because the leadwork is so great.

Andy is a great player for sure, and really the main reason I listen to King Diamond (I'm one of those guys who vastly prefers early Mercyful Fate in terms of overall songwriting). Another really underrated player that was briefly in KD's band is Michael Moon, Swedish guitarist who was in the band Madison. I religiously listen to that first Madison album because the leadwork is so great.

The Swedes just bring it when it comes to fantastic playing. Canada produces great hockey players, Sweden produces great hockey players AND virtuoso/ tasteful guitar players with chops for days. But hey, we gave the world Bieber...and RUSH.

Andy is a monster player. "Them" and Conspiracy are my favorite albums. If Andy is under rated, it is because King Diamond is a bit of a niche band. A lot of people are turned off by the vocals.

Is this Michael Moon, who was in the video for Family Ghost? Always wondered who this guy was, in between Michael Denner and Pete Blakk lineup wise. He looked just like Yngwie.

Andy is a monster player. "Them" and Conspiracy are my favorite albums. If Andy is under rated, it is because King Diamond is a bit of a niche band. A lot of people are turned off by the vocals.

I'd recommend listening to Illwill.. Yes, Andy's the sole guitar player. Definitely his most aggressive tones...

His fucking vibrato.. Man...

Last edited:
Is this Michael Moon, who was in the video for Family Ghost? Always wondered who this guy was, in between Michael Denner and Pete Blakk lineup wise. He looked just like Yngwie.

total Yngwie clone right down to the moves and the crouching tiger stance..

The Eye has some of his best work. Them and Conspiracy are my favorites, but this lead here is so fucking tasty.. Best vibrato in the business..

I'm the exact same as you. Them is the masterpiece of all time when it comes to concept records, with Conspiracy being a nice follow up. The Eye isn't as strong, but it's what I listen to the most. The guitar tones are thicker, the riffs are great, Pete actually got to contribute a killer tune and the solos are amazing. It's interesting to hear that Andy really leaned into his Schenker influence with the cocked wah on almost every solo.

He’s a legend. I learned the solo he played on the At The Gates tune “Cold” and it was pretty challenging to get right!
when I bought that record I didn't read the liner notes. When that song played and the solo came, I said, that dude sounds just like Andy. It can't be. But, yes, it was Andy. Love that solo and the whole record. To me, it is the be all, end all of melodeath.

Back