Langner pre-amp

I've had the chance to study much of Todd L's work. He was a genius when it comes to tube circuits.
Here are the old brochures
The Big Hairy Guitar video is of an older version of the preamp before he designed the PCB. It has the tubes on separate board laying sideways rather than vertical

Todd
Very nice. That head must be exceptionally rare.

I dated a chick in Sacramento in the 90’s that knew the guitar players from Tesla. She said they both played JMP’s that Todd had modded. Hell, that was the first time I’d ever heard his name. Some of those early Tesla tones are pretty badass in my opinion.

I dated a chick in Sacramento in the 90’s that knew the guitar players from Tesla. She said they both played JMP’s that Todd had modded. Hell, that was the first time I’d ever heard his name. Some of those early Tesla tones are pretty badass in my opinion.
This is news to me! I've met Frank Hannon a few times ( I work in Sac, live in Auburn). Always thought his tone was killer but never even considered there was Langner mods under the hood. Hope I get the chance to ask about this!

I've had the chance to study much of Todd L's work. He was a genius when it comes to tube circuits.
Here are the old brochures
The Big Hairy Guitar video is of an older version of the preamp before he designed the PCB. It has the tubes on separate board laying sideways rather than vertical

Todd
Cool. My brochure is even older than that. May have to do some digging lol. Hell, mine's just black and white lol.

Todd had 3-4 stage Marshall mods that are probably closer to what the Tesla guys were after. Ive never heard them in person. I had no idea they used his stuff. The 5 stage stuff is all Ive ever heard and played.

This is news to me! I've met Frank Hannon a few times ( I work in Sac, live in Auburn). Always thought his tone was killer but never even considered there was Langner mods under the hood. Hope I get the chance to ask about this!
Well this info was coming from someone who was slightly unhinged, but she knew who Todd was and what he did for sure.

Your in Auburn, cool, my old band used to play “The Boardwalk” back in the day. Did some shows with “Jet Red” and many others that I can’t recall the names? Cool club. Sound engineer was cool once you got to know him and he knew you could play. NO FEET ON THE MONITORS! Dave I think was his name.

Well this info was coming from someone who was slightly unhinged, but she knew who Todd was and what he did for sure.

Your in Auburn, cool, my old band used to play “The Boardwalk” back in the day. Did some shows with “Jet Red” and many others that I can’t recall the names? Cool club. Sound engineer was cool once you got to know him and he knew you could play. NO FEET ON THE MONITORS! Dave I think was his name.
Thats awesome! The Boardwalk was a great little club. Just recently closed down unfortunately due to one of the owners passing :(
I caught a few great shows there..Pat Travers, Steve Morse, the Aristocrats to name a few

I got to visit Todd's original workshop in Oakland, CA in 1992 where he did his amp mods and built his preamps & power amps. He was helpful in revoicing my stock ADA MP-1 preamp and building my 1st guitar rack. He offered me his 3TM mod tube circuit board for my MP-1 preamp, but didn't know what it was and didn't get to try one in person. I got to play a few shows locally, opening for Vicious Rumors, and got to check out Geoff Thorpe's & Mark McGhee's Langner preamp/power amp guitar rig up close. Killer guitar tones, but those guys played loud onstage. After Mark McGhee left Vicious Rumors, he sold off his Langner guitar rig, HiWatt 4x12 cabs, and custom Ibanez guitars. ADA goes out of business.

In 2005, I discovered the ADA Depot, found out about the various mods for improving the stock ADA MP-1 preamp. I also learned about the 3TM mod tube circuit board and that Hairy Bagg aka Robert Metzger and MarshallJMP aka Philippe Goode bought a used Langner 3TM modified ADA MP-1 preamp and reverse engineered it. The new version of the 3TM mod tube circuit board was improved for less noise and still had its killer tube gain. I scraped up the cash and had Hairy Bagg install the 3TM mod tube circuit board and all of the Ultra mods (rear input jack, new lithium battery, new battery holder, V2.01 EEPROM chip, noise mod). My beat up old MP-1 preamp came back as a fire breathing beast with improved sound/noise ratio and upgraded with useful mods. I eventually bought another 3TM Ultra modded MP-1 preamp from a local seller, so I now own 2 3TM Ultra modded MP-1 preamps. It's unfortunate that Langner Amps was in business for a short time and that he's no longer with us, but his amp mods, preamps, power amps, and the 3TM tube circuit board have been discovered and appreciated by guitarists today.

Guitar George

Thats awesome! The Boardwalk was a great little club. Just recently closed down unfortunately due to one of the owners passing :(
I caught a few great shows there..Pat Travers, Steve Morse, the Aristocrats to name a few
Hi Todd, are you taking orders for these preamps? Sorry, but can’t find a website so asking here

The Boardwalk is open. Played a gig there in March. Yeah; it is a fun place to play, and see shows.

Back