Long time Herbert User. new amp suggestions

valve

hi folks.

seems like there are alot of diezel owners on here.

own a herbert almost since it came out.
still like the ch2 on the plus setting for that particular sound.
but to be honest, it’s not good for anything else, except maybe the clean channel but also would like a gain control on that one.

the ch2 on the minus setting can be ok for high output PUs where the plus setting might get too compressed. so if you shooting for a similar sound with different PUs it’s also usable.

but for a lot of crunchy/low gain stuff i play, i regularly hate it. even with the bass on 10:30 and deep almost way down (precence 2:00) it never really get’s a nice crunchy sound. the mids and feel are way off. too stiff (which is fine for med too high gain)

is there a diezel worth considering for a more classic vibe or am i happier elsewhere for a more classic sound.
i don‘t want full vintage or 100% marshall sound. not too much of a fan either.

don‘t need a lot of gain. herbert 2ch+ on 12:00 is pleanty for my taste.

is there even a multichannel amp that can be thight in one channel and more saggy in the lowgain channel?

hi folks.

seems like there are alot of diezel owners on here.

own a herbert almost since it came out.
still like the ch2 on the plus setting for that particular sound.
but to be honest, it’s not good for anything else, except maybe the clean channel but also would like a gain control on that one.

the ch2 on the minus setting can be ok for high output PUs where the plus setting might get too compressed. so if you shooting for a similar sound with different PUs it’s also usable.

but for a lot of crunchy/low gain stuff i play, i regularly hate it. even with the bass on 10:30 and deep almost way down (precence 2:00) it never really get’s a nice crunchy sound. the mids and feel are way off. too stiff (which is fine for med too high gain)

is there a diezel worth considering for a more classic vibe or am i happier elsewhere for a more classic sound.
i don‘t want full vintage or 100% marshall sound. not too much of a fan either.

don‘t need a lot of gain. herbert 2ch+ on 12:00 is pleanty for my taste.

is there even a multichannel amp that can be thight in one channel and more saggy in the lowgain channel?

If you need all in one VHX has the shape control that will adjust the tightness of the channel, plus it has the CH2 that is in the Marshall territory gain speaking (similar to Hagen and VH4 CH2).

@Leo Diezel having said can Diezel give any support on any mods to getta Herbert slightly on the marshally track less compress more natural tightness?
I believe it's possible if you're close or shipping to HQ is doable! In this case I'd suggest to get in contact directly with Peter by sending him an email or better a call!

I believe it's possible if you're close or shipping to HQ is doable! In this case I'd suggest to get in contact directly with Peter by sending him an email or better a call!
Thanks for the Help @Leo Diezel but am from asia singapore... dont think i would wanna spend 1k sending over to Germany... but i can do soldering work pretty well and have recently done a DIY clone am am pretty happy with it.. lets say if i could get Diezel to tell me which to change what values at which spot i could do it i believe... just that i have no idea if Diezel would accomodate the idea

Thanks for the Help @Leo Diezel but am from asia singapore... dont think i would wanna spend 1k sending over to Germany... but i can do soldering work pretty well and have recently done a DIY clone am am pretty happy with it.. lets say if i could get Diezel to tell me which to change what values at which spot i could do it i believe... just that i have no idea if Diezel would accomodate the idea
That's an MK1 right?

thanks for the suggestion.
i am always behind and didn’t know the vhx existed. sounds really interesting.
but i fear i will get lost in tweaking😳
so will it disconnect/connect additional filter caps etc. when setting the shape???
is there something like a 45 or lower watt mode like some mesas have?
tube rectifier simulation? ….

@hopkinWFG
no problem.
a more open herbert would also be to my liking👍.
@valve i wonder if you have tried the cocktails prescribed by Diezel for ya Herbert? I googled many years back he mentioned:

V1= Mullards CV4004 but i tried 12ax7 but later setted with Tungsol 12ax7
V2= Ruby 12ax7A
V3=Ruby 12ax7A
V5= ruby 12ax7A? I got mine 12ax7B

With KT77 its tight without the obvious topend fizz... i tried mullards with EH el34 and i didnt like it thou it sound full and now i know what the folks keep saying el34 has a certain compression and not as tight ...

I would wanna try a couple KT88 with KT77 ... but lets see ...

i changed the preamp tubes (very old!!!) (and rebiased the power tubes) last week and i got to say everything sounds much better now. i'll give the 2- channel another trial.
but i want to have a dedicated crunch channel since i use the EQ and gain settings a different than on the 2+ setting.
So if it's gonna be a diezel again it will be a VHX, VH4 or a Hagen

nah!
the farty low string is finally gone and it sounds more alive with fresh tubes, but there's something going on when the gain is low at around 10:00 (and under) that totally turns me off.
i don't now what it is, but the mids sound off and maybe it's that compression. there is something artificial to the tone. also some weird distortion going on. i want the breakup on the high frequencies mainly, but there is some weird distortion going on in the middle which i totally hate.

but i'am not giving up on diezel, yet.
So the VHX, read a lot about it. it will do a proper hagen and vh4 which really would be awesome, since it's hard to decide between the 2.
is there something where you can set the amount of compression of the VHX and turn down that Hifi quality. that for example are some of my love hate things with diezels. it all depends on the mood that i'am in. sometimes i like it, sometimes i don't...

If your looking for a Marshall flavor have to suggest the Einstein, I have a 100 watter still has the diezel tone but more open

yeah i heared a comparison clip between vh4, einstein and herbert and in this i preferred the einstein, although to be fair that demo was way too gainy and the herbi was on the over compressed channel 3 so actually it said nothing…
since the einstein is discontinued it will be hard to demo it.
can the vhx cover that sound?

If you can find a used one , I really dig the Schmidt for its clean - broken up - low gain - medium gain.
GLKT77’s bring it to life.
It’s my desert island amp.

at least you should try a VH4, as it's not discontinued and you might be able to demo it out before buying...

Back