LTD GL-256 experiences?

Michi

Heya!

I've had an overwhelming GAS for a while now towards a worn vintage strat and realized the Lynch LTD is selling for peanuts new over here (around $415 converted with today's rate). It's got basically all the features I'm looking for: maple fretboard w/ 22 frets, humbucker in the bridge position (will need to replace the LTD pickup though), basic strat shape and of course the worn looks (ok it's a stencil paintjob/decal but anyway the looks are there) and vintage tremolo. I played one shortly abt 6 months ago and the neck felt really good, not a bad job at all.

Being the cheap a-hole I am, I'm heavily GASing to get one. Can't build one cheaper can I?! Replacing the bridge pickup will make the total cost around 435€ ($530 I guess) so all in all, a very affordable guitar IMO.

Does anyone here any insight on the GL-256, pros and cons, why should I/shouldn't I get it? Is there anything in the same price range you with similar specs you could point me towards?

Any input is greatly appreciated :rock: !

I just got a distressed finish LTD strat for peanuts. Replaced the electronics and installed Dimarzio pickups (Fast Track 2 bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, Chopper Neck) and did a setup on it and it burns! Did a whole rehearsal set with it and the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II and it killed! Only other thing I might do is change out the bridge for a Babicz full contact or a Super Vee (haven't decided).

Get one!

I bought a GL-256 right when they came out a few years ago. Being a huge Lynch fan I had to have it - but was too cheap to get the real deal :D The neck is fantastic - except the truss rod is single action. :( You can increase the bow, but can't back it out for relief. Why in the world they are still being used is beyond me. The distressed finish is a terrible stencil job, but can' expect much from a 200 series. Pickups were marginal at best, but it felt great and played great. Truss rod issue was the only reason I sold it.
I believe the body is Alder, and (I believe) all the 200/LTD series Lynch guitars after that were made with Basswood.

30007thDay3-8-09.jpg

Thanks guys for the input!

Yeah I read about the truss rod issue but I'm not too worried about that, the only thing really concerning me is the woods basically, everything else can be replaced really. But if they are as good as your experiences say they are, I may have to grab one when we head south in a couple of weeks for a few shows!

I was going to buy one as well - but had the truss rod issue, and the store ended up sending it back. Couldn't fix it. Decided a Vietnamese-made LTD was not the direction I wanted to go.

I checked one out a few years back as it seemed like it might make a cool "beater" Strat. It felt very "plastic-y" and cheap...I immediately hated it.

Back