Luthiers, what's this small recess for?

Code001

I'm looking at the Stew Mac neck rest, and it has this U cut in it where there isn't any cork. What's the point of that?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamp ... =3&xsr=711

If it was meant for setting the neck there, wouldn't there be cork in that area? I also can't invision any scenario in which you'd choose that over the regular area that's lined in the cork. It won't self-center like the cork area. Is it for making the rest lighter? Is it a small area for holding a few pieces of fret wire for when you're installing frets or what? I made my own, so I'm not looking to buy it. I'm just curious as to whether I should add that to mine or not.

My guess is that it helps ensure the neck "levels" across the stand width in a balanced manner regardless of neck angle relative to the table.

Looking again... That is probably required for the self leveling to function properly.

Mine self levels fine without it, and there's always contact front and rear. I tried seven different guitars with vastly different neck profiles, including a 7 string.

Code001":315941sm said:
Mine self levels fine without it, and there's always contact front and rear. I tried seven different guitars with vastly different neck profiles, including a 7 string.

Dunno... My theory makes sense to me. I'm curious about the real answer now.

Code001":3shyk1qy said:
I'm looking at the Stew Mac neck rest, and it has this U cut in it where there isn't any cork. What's the point of that?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamp ... =3&xsr=711

If it was meant for setting the neck there, wouldn't there be cork in that area? I also can't invision any scenario in which you'd choose that over the regular area that's lined in the cork. It won't self-center like the cork area. Is it for making the rest lighter? Is it a small area for holding a few pieces of fret wire for when you're installing frets or what? I made my own, so I'm not looking to buy it. I'm just curious as to whether I should add that to mine or not.
I would guess that it has something to do with the way they make them...I doubt that there is anything functional about the cutout. Less cork is then used as well.

Bob Savage":30bxu9yb said:
My guess is that it helps ensure the neck "levels" across the stand width in a balanced manner regardless of neck angle relative to the table.

Looking again... That is probably required for the self leveling to function properly.

You are correct sir.

After making both versions, I can conclude that there is no discernible difference between the two in terms of it self leveling. Any differences can easily be chalked up to tolerances. Instead, what I found out is that it is a TON easier to work on fret ends with a file with that recess in there. It allows me to angle the file in a much more extreme manner than I could have on the first one I made. I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the cutout.

Code001":3ezza7qm said:
After making both versions, I can conclude that there is no discernible difference between the two in terms of it self leveling. Any differences can easily be chalked up to tolerances. Instead, what I found out is that it is a TON easier to work on fret ends with a file with that recess in there. It allows me to angle the file in a much more extreme manner than I could have on the first one I made. I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the cutout.

Cool!

Back