Lynch Solo Secrets

ttosh

What I mean by this is he is very unique sounding and this is IMHO based on his phrasing. Any insight to what he is focusing on in his solos to make them sound so Lynchish? :LOL: :LOL:

he combines many scales and patterns wiyhout much thought about theory...so they come out unique...in other words he does things that shouldnt work but makes em work over chords they shouldnt

He uses a lot of Flatted 5ths. Raised 7ths when in a minor key and his vibrato. The 'Jack Off' vibrato.

These are two of my favorite Lynch videos. You can see and hear all this in action.

Jack Napalm":3tbhjec5 said:
He uses a lot of Flatted 5ths. Raised 7ths when in a minor key and his vibrato. The 'Jack Off' vibrato.

These are two of my favorite Lynch videos. You can see and hear all this in action.

Yes this!^^^^^^^^^^ and don't forget the spastic trill position playing with slides...George is a fretboard pattern player hit and miss type of guy. This is his playing style in a nutshell.
Don't get me wrong...I love George and he was a big influence when I was younger. He had his own thing going on!

I was starting to think it was those fingerless gloves, but I guess not since there's no sign of them here. :doh:

In most of his video's he constantly refers to shapes that he has memorized. This is where a lot of scales and riff's get added together that he uses. As well as his unique vibrato's and a lot of sliding to a note and away from the note. I love his style even though a lot of people don't appreciate his stuff!

Jack Napalm":19rxtyvu said:

I would say this. Play any diatonic scale and end it on the flatted 5th and it will start to sound like George. He also slides in and out of notes a lot, that give him that slippery vibe. Also, he likes to use pedal tones as motifs in his solos: Kiss of death (the second half of solo with the open e string), In My Dreams (mid solo before the tapping run is a pedal tone lick), Mr Scary (right in the beginning he does a little pedal tone lick).

But back to the post I quoted, it all comes back to ending on the flat 5 and the vibrato.

George solos like a good man makes love to woman - for the first time. Is it perfection, no, but thats where his passion, intensity and ingenuity take over and makes what George does, an artform. Timing is another key component to George's success, although he's playing in the box, (pardon the pun) he's holding and bending notes on odd timings and then when you least expect it he explodes into a flurry of unexpected notes at break-neck speed. At least thats what I find entertaining about George. And his right and left hand Vibrato working in conjunction is pretty damn amazing as well

Rezamatix":2wpv2bfw said:
I for the life of me cannot get into this dudes playing at ALL, chris Poland eats him alive as a player..

Chris Poland has deloped great "skills" no doubt, but they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of style. CP is very calculated and dry in his style, and George just wings it with lots of grease and feel. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Personally, I take feel over calculative precision.

That CP video was painfully boring IMO.

Jdub":295qdxjg said:
Rezamatix":295qdxjg said:
I for the life of me cannot get into this dudes playing at ALL, chris Poland eats him alive as a player..

Chris Poland has deloped great "skills" no doubt, but they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of style. CP is very calculated and dry in his style, and George just wings it with lots of grease and feel. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Personally, I take feel over calculative precision.

That CP video was painfully boring IMO.
Well stated :thumbsup:

Why is this a competition or contest between guitarists??

Georges Lynch owned BIG TIME :rock: :rock: I'd love to be able to "emulate" his feel :doh:

Thank you to everyone for summing his style up so neatly. I have never thought about it so simplistically before. Thank you to ttosh for posing the question.

His timing/stuttering, his vibrato, his note choice, and overall feel..... George just KILLED it back then. He was a HUGE presence in LA. I f'ing LOVED his playing :rock:

jcj":3p8nu7lk said:
His timing/stuttering, his vibrato, his note choice, and overall feel..... George just KILLED it back then. He was a HUGE presence in LA. I f'ing LOVED his playing :rock:

in the BFTA days he was a beast.

my username is made from george lynch and paul gilbert in the 80's

put it all together - glpg80

Back