Making a 30v/32v power supply

Yehuda

I just got a TC integrated preamp and want to use it to its full capability. I have not found any power supplies that are 30v or 32v- how hard would this be to make myself? I’ve heard I can wire outputs of my isolated power supply in series, but i only have 9v and 18v outputs available and I’m not sure if these two can be combined given their different voltages- pretty new to this stuff. Would be happy creating one from scratch depending on how hard it would be

I made one of these back when I first got my tc integrated preamp and just run 9v into it, then the 33v out to the integrated preamp

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/11/charge-pump-extravaganza.html?m=1

The max1044 does like to die easy though, the more robust LT1054 may be used in place, but must cut the trace between pin 1 and 8, and run the 9v power in to pin 8 (rather than 1, on the layouts). May be more susceptible to noise than the max1044.

These days various pedal pcb makers also make charge pump PCB’s which should be easier to deal with. But I mostly only see voltage doublers only.

I have also run two isolated outputs on my power supply, an 18v and a 9v in series for 27v and that worked fine. Not ideal as it uses up two outputs just for one pedal.

30 volt laptop style supplies are usually also available for IT use off eBay or Amazon, but these will probably be noisy due to not being made for audio use, also you’ll need to cut the jack end off and solder on one that will fit in your pedal. IT stuff uses opposite polarity of typical boss style power supplies.

Back