Mallory vs Wima or?

ClintN667

What would you guys choose for an 800 build Mallory, Synergy, Wima?

My buddy Daniel at Deadweald Audio and H&K recommended Wima for this build.

What do you guys like and why?

What would you guys choose for an 800 build Mallory, Synergy, Wima?

My buddy Daniel at Deadweald Audio and H&K recommended Wima for this build.

What do you guys like and why?
If you go WIMA, you’re going to have a hard time finding axial lead caps

In this economy you’ll be lucky to pick and choose what you want at all. It’s hard to find good potentiometers let alone find your preferred caps.

My luthier and I just spent 3 weeks searching for low friction pots I like but can’t find anymore.

With that said I like WIMAs and depending on location, I also mix in sozos. Sozos add in some musicality to the amp to keep it from sounding so damn cold and sterile. I use others as well but I’m not mentioning them as they’re already hard as hell to find 😂

Are you using a pcb? If so what’s the lead spacing? I like them all but I’d opt for the wima’s on a pcb. For a PTP I prefer the synergy’s over Mallory or a mix. Only downsides to synergy’s are how giant they are and the price.

Are you using a pcb? If so what’s the lead spacing? I like them all but I’d opt for the wima’s on a pcb. For a PTP I prefer the synergy’s over Mallory or a mix. Only downsides to synergy’s are how giant they are and the price.
Yeah it's a pcb.

On my latest Marshall MOAB mods, I’ve been using Wimas exclusively and they are great. They are direct fit into ST1 boards. Wimas are also very good as cathode bypass caps.

My Hellion uses Synergy coupling caps. Also excellent, but very expensive. I do use Wimas as bypass caps in a couple spots. As stated above, if you’re using a turret board, Wimas aren’t an option.

On my latest Marshall MOAB mods, I’ve been using Wimas exclusively and they are great. They are direct fit into ST1 boards. Wimas are also very good as cathode bypass caps.

My Hellion uses Synergy coupling caps. Also excellent, but very expensive. I do use Wimas as bypass caps in a couple spots. As stated above, if you’re using a turret board, Wimas aren’t an option.
Thanks man do you have the series info for the WIMA's? I know Friedman prefers synergy. I got a pcb from AA Electronics and Nik at Ceriatone is hooking me up with chassis and a few other pieces. Now I just need faceplates, Iron, and caps. I think this is my 5 or 6 JCM build so I'm going to take my time and keep this one. The only mods I think I'm going to do is maybe Jason's Fet boost.

Thanks man do you have the series info for the WIMA's? I know Friedman prefers synergy. I got a pcb from AA Electronics and Nik at Ceriatone is hooking me up with chassis and a few other pieces. Now I just need faceplates, Iron, and caps. I think this is my 5 or 6 JCM build so I'm going to take my time and keep this one. The only mods I think I'm going to do is maybe Jason's Fet boost.
Here’s the series I use. This cap is direct fit for ST1’s @ 10mm lead spacing.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKP4J022203C00JSSD?qs=sJjjjplDs9teU8nNaiSfPg==

Back