Marshall 1968 Super Lead Plexi 100W Cranked

Just my opinion but it sounds a little bright and crashy. It might just be a big ass bright cap with Volume set low-ish to try and cop the AC/DC gain level . The clip @NorCal_Val posted sounds fat and crunchy.

You guys don't like the treble crash that happens when you max out a plexi's treble with a 25k mid pot?

I dig that sound. If you don't overdo it, it really highlights the dynamics in your playing, especially if you have a heavy right hand.

That treble crash sound is all over the early VH records.

Last edited:
You guys don't like the treble crash that happens when you max out a plexi's treble with a 25k mid pot?

I dig that sound. If you don't overdo it, it really highlights the dynamics in your playing, especially if you have a heavy right hand.

Yuck…terrible sounding. Sounds like it is being played with a screwdriver.

Interesting,
Not a lot of gain at all, especially that it’s being boosted. 🤔
I don't know where he had the volumes set since he was going for AC/DC tones cranked could be 5/6 and not dimed on ten.

If it is dimed then yeah, seems to lacking a little gain for a 68 plexi...still sounds like a decent plexi though. It's loud cause you see the camera moving...:yes:

Just had a Synergy Plexi module arrive today. Will be running into a PS2 or JCM800 power amp. Going to shoot for some of these tones tonight.

The synergy plexi module has an absurd amount of gain. Sounds good, but not realistic at all for a stock amp.

Ed's main Marshall is weird in that it has a 50K mid pot that was factory stock. Dave Friedman revealed this. Marshall would use whatever they could get away with. LOL

Start listening at the 36:00 mark:

Back