Marshall 1968 Super Lead Plexi 100W Cranked

Just had a Synergy Plexi module arrive today. Will be running into a PS2 or JCM800 power amp. Going to shoot for some of these tones tonight.
Nice. I will be surprised if you prefer the PS. Half the the Marshall 'sound' is in the power amp.

The synergy plexi module has an absurd amount of gain. Sounds good, but not realistic at all for a stock amp.
Yeah it seems some people think those MTS modules are just clones of the preamp from the actually amp. For the lower gain stuff this is not the case at all, even the higher gain ones can vary.

Additional gain is utilised in the modules to mimic phaser inverter / power tube drive. E.g. the old Randall Plexi module was basically a 2203.

Ed's main Marshall is weird in that it has a 50K mid pot that was factory stock. Dave Friedman revealed this. Marshall would use whatever they could get away with. LOL

Start listening at the 36:00 mark:

I've listened to that one!

I've also played one of the new Suhr SL68 MkII's recently, the one with with a 25k / 50k mid pot switch. Flipping a switch and hearing exactly what the 50k mid pot does is really cool, and the difference is significant. Flipping it to the 50k mid switch makes the whole amp sound and respond in a more modern way. More gain, and it reduces any treble crash that has been dialed in. It doesn't 100% eliminate it but it reduces it a lot.

Last edited:
I've also played one of the new Suhr SL68 MkII's recently, the one with with a 25k / 50k mid pot switch. Flipping a switch and hearing exactly what the 50k mid pot does is really cool, and the difference is significant. Flipping it to the 50k mid switch makes the whole amp sound and respond in a more modern way. More gain, and it reduces any treble crash that has been dialed in. It doesn't 100% eliminate it but it reduces it a lot.

I didn't know that the MkII's had that feature! John Suhr sure knows what he's doing. Much respect for him.

Back