Marshall 4010

boost

Are these things like hen's teeth now? I used to see a few of them for sale from time to time, but the prices seemed very high. Now...nothing. Due to an injury I really need move from the 100 watt half stacks and get a 1 X 12 combo I can easily move.

Ideally, a 50 watt JMP or JCM800 sounding amp with a loop would be ideal. Looking for classic Marshall sounds that I could hit with a boost. Splawn Streetrod is an option (no boost needed), but doesn't sound as 'open' as I like in some clips. Not a fan of the EVH amps and the Friedman combos are out of my price range. Never cared for the Boogie sound either. I'm a Marshall guy.

The clips I have heard of the 4210 model Marshall I wasn't impressed with. To my ears they just didn't sound as good as a single channel 800. I have also heard of issues and hard to work on. They do however have a loop which is nice. I may be swayed back into the 4210 camp if anyone has positive comments about them.

Any other 1 X 12 combo's I should be looking into?

Thanks.

Why not get a Jubilee Reissue combo or find a 4010 JCM800 combo. They always go for under 1k in combo form. Love mine. Throw in a metro loop which is easy breezy and there ya go.

I had a 4210 and loved it. My main gigging amp now is a 4212 that's in a live in road case. I upgraded the speakers to 70th Anniversaries. Awesome sounding and bonehead simple.

4210/2205s are usually consistent after 87, when they fixed the channel bleed and worked the preamp a little differently. Pre 87s can be hit or miss, had an 83 that was bad and an 85 that was much better. But the 87 I had was VHII in a box, no boost.

If you look into the 2205/2210 family of amps, stick with the 1987 or newer years and there's no trouble at all. In 85 they changed the overdrive. In 87 they fixed the bleeding through issue.

Thanks guys. Good info to know on the years for the 4210. Been seeing a few for sale, but are early years.

Back