Marshall 4x12 w/ V30's or Mesa Trad 4x12 w/ V30's

I bought a Crate blue voodo cab for $100 and threw a Bogner wheat grill and logo on it, made it the best sounding cab I have ever heard!

Better? Depends on use and requirement.
In terms of "feel"...
The Marshall will have more "give" & "flex".
The Mesa will be more "stiff" & "solid"

Marshall will be much brighter and spread more.
Mesa will be more...cold and stiff, and loud, and more directional. Almost clinical.

I have both.

I would prefer the Mesa.

But I prefer the Bogner Uberkab more.
Much more.

Along with what everyone else has said, you also need to take into consideration that if we are talking about buying a new cab with the V30's loaded in it Both Marshall and Mesa use OEM speakers. in other words not only will the cabs sound different but the speakers will sound Different as well.

I prefer the Mesa in both cases. (cab and speaker choice)

Gainfreak":21byl7kc said:
Along with what everyone else has said, you also need to take into consideration that if we are talking about buying a new cab with the V30's loaded in it Both Marshall and Mesa use OEM speakers. in other words not only will the cabs sound different but the speakers will sound Different as well.

That means when you buy a marshall cabinet new loaded with v30's like this https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-19 ... 1177438.gc, they are not real v30's?

mrkmas":34m1t6hi said:
Gainfreak":34m1t6hi said:

That means when you buy a marshall cabinet new loaded with v30's like this https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-19 ... 1177438.gc, they are not real v30's?
They are real v30's but they are a special OEM version that is built to Marshalls specs and they sound different from the celestion v30's and the Mesa v30's. Mesa has there own spec as well.
There is a thread here on RT that explains it all :rock:

Im with those who say new mesa's are better built then todays Marshalls-which tend to be crap.

Mesa it is. I wouldn't hesitate to try out the Rectifier (Standard) cab as well. It doesn't sound a world different from the Traditional, but if you're using an amp that's focused in the high mids, the Recto cab will fatten it up a bit.

Im adding a vote to the Mesa list here. I'm not a big Marshall fan... the 1960 cabs a pretty "standard" but in my opinion Mesa cabs are built like tanks, sound great, and their "V30" is pretty killer.

If we are opening up the discussion to other cabs:

Bogner Uberkab - ENGL Pro 412 - Diezel 4x12

Whatever one is on Craig's list....I would never buy a new 4x12 again, people give them away for 100-250 all the time. I've had a mint 4x12 for sale (on consignment) for almost a year and no bites. Price is way flexible, but no interest. I'm going to bring it back home rather than give it away

Back