Marshall G12 Vintage date code problem

xiwiwix

I need some help dating Marshall V12G’s. They seem to be missing a letter.

T3897 G12V 16 Ohm Vintage 30, Marshall label, 70w, 444 cone date: 12 D

Attachments

• E4E064CA-7D14-4C5E-9142-648E3C037FF3.png
    E4E064CA-7D14-4C5E-9142-648E3C037FF3.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 62
I'd guess 2004ish? I don't think they used stickers until 03 or 04 and there's no A or B after the model number, so it's not too recent. Does seem to be missing a letter.

I’m guessing 2003-2006 but more than likely 2005, as the cab is a 2005 1960BV, but I know companies stock pile speakers which doesn’t make it 100% a 2005. It’s more than likely earlier than 2006 for sure.

It’s just so strange that it’s missing a letter, more than likely the year designation, making it an April cab.

I have some 2004 8 ohms Mesa v30’s that sound amazing but these have this extra clarity while not being harsh, which has left me baffled.

I have some 2004 8 ohms Mesa v30’s that sound amazing but these have this extra clarity while not being harsh, which has left me baffled.
That’s EXACTLY how I heard the Marshall V30. They sound phenomenal. No comparison to the Chinese versions. Not even close, imho. And I was playing my SLO through them at the time, which I absolutely hated with Chinese V30’s.

And, to throw another wrench into this speaker the first version 8ohm from 85-86 sounds very different than the 16 ohm versions of today. I picked up a 1988 800 cab with the 8 ohm Vintages...These are warm, fat sounding speakers that have a much more 'relaxed' top end that differs greatly to the later 90s 16 ohm version. They almost sound like G12 65s with a more prominent midrange.
OP, is there a stamp on the frame anywhere? Date codes used to be there...

If you don't get a proper answer to this you will find threads in which the speaker stamping people just got something wrong.
You must be a bot. What sentient human would ever use the phrase ‘speaker stamping people’ to describe factory line workers as if that is their only task there, to stamp speakers. That and your over reliance on graphs and charts which can never document the intangible aspects of sound. Where’s Sarah Conner when you need her?

And, to throw another wrench into this speaker the first version 8ohm from 85-86 sounds very different than the 16 ohm versions of today. I picked up a 1988 800 cab with the 8 ohm Vintages...These are warm, fat sounding speakers that have a much more 'relaxed' top end that differs greatly to the later 90s 16 ohm version. They almost sound like G12 65s with a more prominent midrange.
OP, is there a stamp on the frame anywhere? Date codes used to be there...
No where are there any other stamps, date codes etc,.. I looked again just a few days ago. The only thing I found was another "Marshall Barcode" sticker another one of the speakers.

Back