Marshall SV20 Hand Wired Heads With Some Mods

xenrelic

If you guys dig the Marshall SV20 amp, here are a couple that were gutted and hand wired with a custom fx loop, an added post phase inverter J-taper master volume and some other mods like a dual negative feedback loop circuit switch and push pull high gain mod with a bright cap selector push pull as well. A 3H choke was added into the design to sweeten things up in the power amp.

P1130418.jpg
P1110806.JPG

P1130400.JPG

P1130524.JPG

P1130254.JPG

P1130537.JPG

P1130547.JPG

I thought it sounded great but I'm not sure why you just wouldn't go with a completely different amp if you're going to do that much to it. I forgot to ask who did it?

I thought it sounded great but I'm not sure why you just wouldn't go with a completely different amp if you're going to do that much to it. I forgot to ask who did it?

I'm thinking that as well.. the SV20 on it's own is pretty solid. But yeah, this sounds great.

Since there were no hand wired 20 watt plexi amps available through Marshall, a friend of mine found a deal on a used SV20 and asked if I could hand wire one for him. I thought it was a weird idea, but just for shits and giggles I was like alright let's try it and it ended up sounding really great.

I posted about the first couple of prototypes we made and then I started to get a bunch of people interested in them, so I kicked things up a notch and made some custom boards that would be easy drop in replacements.

At first I didn't think there would be much difference between the stock and the hand wired version, but the sound comparison in person between the two is pretty crazy. The stock SV20 is already pretty great, but the hand wired version makes the PCB version sound like a toy and so we concluded that it was well worth the effort.

Considering the Marshall hand wired stuff is about 3-4k now, buying a used SV20 and upgrading it is actually cheaper, so it made sense to go for it. Plus the current hand wired line up doesn't really sound like the old ones, so doing our own build insured that we'd get a better quality sound than current Marshall production offers.

Also the op amp buffered fx loop isn't the best on the SV20, so we opted to install an LND150 buffered fx loop instead and it works much better.

Here's the stock chassis:

P1110692.png

This is the first prototype we made using a 1974x style turret board, early prototype di and fx loop boards:

IMG_3413.JPG

Second prototype which has a JTM voiced normal channel, high gain push pull but a boost push pull on the other pot instead of the bright cap selector. First amp with the new board layout, new power supply layout and newer prototype smaller di and fx loop boards:

P1110793.JPG

Since those first two builds I've really dialed in the layout to make the conversion a lot less time consuming to implement.

Last edited:
I am moving this to the Tech Corner bros!!
This doesn't need to be in tech corner, I was just explaining why the mods were done per the questions asked. We're not trying to repair anything or get tech help lol. We're talking about the rig here.

Last edited:
I really like what you did there! It looks totally Professional . What is the cost do do the mods ?
I've been building the base model including the DI and the Custom FX Loop for $1500.

The fully loaded ones with all the extra mods I've been building for about $1800.

This doesn't need to be in tech corner, I was just explaining why the mods were done per the questions asked. We're not trying to repair anything or get tech help lol. We're talking about the rig here.
Okay back to the main board it goes!

If you guys dig the Marshall SV20 amp, here are a couple that were gutted and hand wired with a custom fx loop, an added post phase inverter J-taper master volume and some other mods like a dual negative feedback loop circuit switch and push pull high gain mod with a bright cap selector push pull as well. A 3H choke was added into the design to sweeten things up in the power amp.

View attachment 286310View attachment 286337
View attachment 286316
View attachment 286319
View attachment 286313
View attachment 286325

View attachment 286328

Hi Xenrelic - Are you still hand-wiring these amps? Is the price you quoted above the cost for the "hand-wired mod" if the amp (or chassis) is sent to you for work?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Xenrelic - Are you still hand-wiring these amps? Is the price you quoted above the cost for the "hand-wired mod" if the amp (or chassis) is sent to you for work?

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott, I am and yes those are the current prices for the hand-wired modification if you purchase an amp new or used and have it sent out to me here in California.

Back