Marty wants solos to go away

Even if the article was legit, couldn’t care less. Breaking news, a human being is selfish enough, that what they don’t like, should be excised or changed for everyone else. Made even more poetic by it usually following a life of making a living and inspiring millions doing what they say should die/disappear. 🤷🏼

Maybe somebody should tell him his “melodies” just sound like a solo and don’t replace a singer…lol
Love ya Marty but a man your age still wearing platform boots is F’n sad.

Last edited:
Even if the article was legit, couldn’t care less. Breaking news, a human being is selfish enough, that what they don’t like should be excised or changed for everyone else. Made even more poetic by it usually following a life of making a living and inspiring millions doing what they say should die/disappear. 🤷🏼
Couldn't agree more.....and one thing over the years I've found that is true...is that a MF who gives up on something/themselves, always tries to convince others to do the same....I'm happy to see Marty disown that article......but it wouldn't make one damn bit a difference to me either.....back to the woodshed!

I don't have much faith in the press these days, and neither do the folks.....mass layoffs in that industry are happening for a reason.

It's true, I've seen that happening as well.

Still, it begs the question where you are getting the news from. Facebook? Instagram? Makes for a very ignorant public.

Which is the way the politicians want you. Uneducated. Unclean. Stupid enough to believe their lies and vote for them.

It's true, I've seen that happening as well.

Still, it begs the question where you are getting the news from. Facebook? Instagram? Makes for a very ignorant public.

Which is the way the politicians want you. Uneducated. Unclean. Stupid enough to believe their lies and vote for them.
I'd say with the agenda press you are ending up less informed and believing what the politicians want you to believe...the press works for one side....it's not about D/R.....it's about the uniparty vs the folks....it's a big club, and we ain't in it. They've earned that distrust.....I get my news from independent news and make up my own damn mind.....bias confirmation isn't getting "informed"

I'd say with the agenda press you are ending up less informed and believing what the politicians want you to believe...the press works for one side....it's not about D/R.....it's about the uniparty vs the folks....it's a big club, and we ain't in it. They've earned that distrust.....I get my news from independent news and make up my own damn mind.....bias confirmation isn't getting "informed"

It's so true, the mainstream media has its own agenda to push, like the NYTimes. They have an anti-Trump slant and it's visible.

That said. there's a difference between getting your information from a reliable source and just swallowing up everything that they spout out. It's important to make inferences from the news from multiple sources.

I wouldn't rely too much on independent news agencies to inform me. They've usually got an agenda to push as well. Follow the money and it will surprise you who is backing an organisation.

Like out here in India, where the politicians have stakes in every newspaper and TV news channel. The ones that attempt to be independent find out they get little in the way of funding from ads or grants that come without strings attached.

Still, there's good information in there. That's why it's important to have as many sources of news as possible and digest information from all those sources.

You'd be missing out on a whole lot of good reporting if you don't read the NYTimes, as an example of playing the devil's advocate.

Of course, nowadays, people want to read what they believe, rather than anything based on facts. Lord forbid your paper of choice should bash Trump, or Biden, or Harris, or whoever.

Basically the masses have been dumbed down already and the politicians win.

Not sure if you'd see it that way though.

now that im thinking about it, i dont remember the last time i heard a solo and said "wow, i need to go back and listen to that again". its riffs and hooks that grab me.

3:28

I mostly hate solos as I equate them to useless masturbatory noodling. But when one belongs such as this or most pantera and vitriol solos, it is great.

Last edited:
Sure is a shame that all that UFO and solo work from Schenker is just ruined with all that noodling. Just when I think I’m going to get some more, great melody, in comes this…this random noise and I’m just pulled completely out of the song.
Same with AC/DC…Christ, a 2 hour concert. We could be wrapped up in 40 minutes if they’d just ditch that idiot rolling around on the dirty stage.
End of the World? More like the end of my patience! Get on with it, you Irish fuck!

I kind of agree w/ marty. There are a lot of technical guitarists that can do amazing things, stringing together series of notes and scales and so on. But few actually add to the music in my view. It’s more like fill cause that’s “part of rock music.” Zappa knew how to do it though, for example.

now that im thinking about it, i dont remember the last time i heard a solo and said "wow, i need to go back and listen to that again". its riffs and hooks that grab me.
Bach's Violin Sonata 1 does it for me. It's not a guitar solo, but somehow it manages to be more interesting and engaging than a lot of them. I want to figure out how to write solos like that.

Shit, does this mean we have to listen to alternative "rock" again?? I remember hearing "solos are bullshit" a million times back in the 90's.

View attachment 284675
IMG_1370.jpeg

what is "the traditional guitar solo" anyway?

kirk hammett has been saying this for 20 years we've already made fun of him for it, i guess its martys turn.

I've always been a sucker for a great solo. Alexi laiho is pretty much my shred idol. He didn't do the impossible. just great phrashing, prefect timing, excellent use of vibrato, tons of energy, and a great sense of melody that matches that essence of the rest of the song.

However, I agree that the expectation for every rock song to have a flashy guitar solo should be gone in 2024, no doubt.

The guitar solo has turned into this thing where the guitarist is put on a platform and heavily criticized and compared to other players. As lead players (title/role in the band) we know all of the different creative directions we can take the solo in, from subdued, to super expressive. From Tom Morellos simple pick scratces and creative hardware use that produces unique sounds, all the way to your Micheal angelo battio's (who tom took lesson from btw) whacky, over the top, double necked, shred-o-thon. We also know that idiots are going to compare the two and since one is more simplistic than the other, it is now considered "not as good". I've been guilty of that myself in my younger years, and i've left that way of thinking behind now that i'm older. I'm sick of that type of childish, unenlightened, uneducated, analysis and comparison. Music is art, not a fucking compatition or something to give expectations to like that.

Last edited:
i know ive posted this dude a million times, but hes really the only dude i watch solely for his lead playing in a long long time. hes like the perfect mix to me of all the lead players i am into like dimebag, srv, and all our favorite 80s dudes. theres just a feel to this dudes playing i dont find in many of these modern shredders.

Back