Mesa Boogie IIC++, Aphex EQF-2's, Metallica Frayed Ends Tone Shootout! Het vs. Hammett Guitars

Brandon Breeze

I was finally able to get my hands on some EQF-2's after a few years of searching. I dialed in the Frayed Ends of Sanity settings from Flemmings notes, adjusted the 120hz up a little since I'm not multi tracking to add some thickness, and turned the mids down from 4 to 1 since they sounded kind of muddy at 4 and no amount of scooping on the EQF-2's could compensate.

How's it sound on your end?

Based on feedback from members here, I use the phone mic for voice, then my 2 mic's in phase for the audio.

Sounded almost spot on to me! Are you running the EQF-2 in the loop, and slaving out to the Strategy?
Much appreciated! I find that depending where I listen to it, it sounds quite different.

Yes, the EQF-2's are in the loop, and slave out to the Strategy. I never thought of this before, but I wonder if the slaved sound is with or without the loop 🤔

Post a pic of the frayed ends tone settings . I’d love to see that
Please
received_134263902971002.jpeg

Much appreciated! I find that depending where I listen to it, it sounds quite different.

Yes, the EQF-2's are in the loop, and slave out to the Strategy. I never thought of this before, but I wonder if the slaved sound is with or without the loop 🤔
I’m pretty sure it is. What lunchbox are you running the EFQ-2s in? Do you need to use a line level shifter? I assume you have the Jensen output transformer?

I’ve been looking for one of these EQF-2s for years, but I’m always in the wrong place at the wrong time!

I’m pretty sure it is. What lunchbox are you running the EFQ-2s in? Do you need to use a line level shifter? I assume you have the Jensen output transformer?

I’ve been looking for one of these EQF-2s for years, but I’m always in the wrong place at the wrong time!
I would agree, otherwise the sound would be wildly different coming from the Strategy! That's on the left side IIRC.

I have the original Aphex 4B-1 Lunchbox setup with 2 EQF-2's and 2 CX-1's. I got extremely lucky! One of the guys I talk to about Boogie stuff often randomly sent me a listing with the whole setup at a small fortune price lol. I couldn't miss another setup! I have been spending so much time messing with them that I haven't had time to open the box or check transformers etc. I too have been on the day late or a dollar short bus for the Aphex EQ's MANY times over the past several years. Just did a comparison video vs. the PMEQ! It was definitely surprising in a few different ways! I'll be posting that up here in a few days.

Back