Mesa DC-5 clean and high gain clips

Speeddemon

A while ago I sold my Mesa DC-5, since I prefer the drive tones of the Mark series more, but damn, that was one gorgeous clean channel.

Turns out I did record some clips at the time, and listening back I could hear what was the reason for selling...
There is this fuzzy thickness in the low-mids on the drive channel, that's basically impossible to dial out and you can aleviate it with a boost, but I want an amp to sound awesome without a boost too.

But I do feel a tight sounding boost helps in this case.

I'm just randomly riffing some stuff, so ya can skip the 'you played that part wrong'. :p

But might be interesting for folks that are looking for this amp.

Clip 1; also switching on/off the Mini Tubescreamer:
Mesa DC-5 clean and highgain

Clip 2 (Iced Earth-esque riffage ... also switching Mini TS on/off )
High gain riffs

Nice man. I just got a super clean one. I'm not fully digging it so I'm putting it up for sale, but it's definitely got some really cool and versatile tones built in!

That's my recollection of the DC5. Thick and kind of wooly. Cool amp,I preferred the earlier A revision to the B. It had more of a vintage fendery sound to it

That's my recollection of the DC5. Thick and kind of wooly. Cool amp,I preferred the earlier A revision to the B. It had more of a vintage fendery sound to it
I believe mine was a B. I just loved the shear headroom and bloom of the clean channel, which still had a nice Fendery feel to it, without sounding really vintage.
But yeah, the thickness that came with a sort of wooly/fuzzy/hairy rawness in the low-mids was what's my main gripe.
Also the fact that the Pull Gain option on the clean channel would require a total different EQing and volume to get to a sort of nice crunchy tone didn't help matters.

Back