Mesa Grid Slammer, anyone?

Rex Rocker

Looking into one of these.

I'm one of those guys obsessed with TS-type boosts and finding the right one.

I keep coming back to the TS808 (running at 18V), I just wished it had a tad more low-end. But I like the creamy mid voicing that it has that many of the "fattened up" 808 clones kinda miss.

Wonder if the Grid Slammer is kinda like that, or does it have a flatter mid voicing like the Precision Drive, for example.

Thanks!

Two friends of mine have them and use them extensively and give rave reviews. I don’t remember the mid character but I remember liking them a lot when I heard them.

TONE WARS uses it alot in his videos. I was considering one to use w/ the MK VII.

I’ve been curious about these as well.

I love my od808, but it would be great to find something similar that doesn’t cut the low end so much.

The Fortin TS9 kills, especially in front of a Recto. Super aggressive and juicy af in the mids.
Yes, one of my favorite boosts. The one TS I kept. That or a recent Tamura modded TS smoke the Grid Slammer I had, but that pedal I remember being decent overall when I had it, just nothing amazing or exceptional

Yes, one of my favorite boosts. The one TS I kept. That or a recent Tamura modded TS smoke the Grid Slammer I had, but that pedal I remember being decent overall when I had it, just nothing amazing or exceptional
Yes the Temura is awesome as well. Not quite as aggressive but sweeter in the mids.

Love mine - it's been my primary TS style overdrive for years now, mainstay on the board. It doesn't a much better job holding the low end of the amp 'in tact', while adding the saturation and punch typically desired when using this type of OD on a high gain amp. May not be your favorite if you're looking for the stronger 'low end cut' these typically give.

The Fortin TS9 kills, especially in front of a Recto. Super aggressive and juicy af in the mids.
Yeah, it has less of a mid hump, but certainly not scooped. It's punchy mids. Best TS9 out there for high gain punch. The Duncan 805 is another good one.

For a cleaner boost with tone shaping, I preferred the Mesa Flux Drive. That's a great pedal too.

I used a Visual Sound J&H for a lot of years because it had a bass boost switch that came in handy when using a strat with single coils. Always wanted to try a Way Huge Green Rhino since it had an actual bass boost adjustment knob but never got around to it. After the J&H I switched to a Blue Note about a decade or so ago. Not a ton of gain on tap but if you are cranking your amp anyways it doesn't really matter. Doesn't cut the bass like the usual TS, fairly transparent. Cranked I just set the Vol and Gain to about 1 or 2 o' clock and let er' rip. Not sure it would be great for the chug or not tho.

Oh, I have the Duncan 805, but I don't like it's lower output than my 808, so it doesn't hit the amp as hard.

Even with the EQ, though, it never gets the same voicing in the mids as the 808 does.

Back