Mesa Multiwatt rectifier vs Revision G 2 Channel

endofall

So I had a chance to play a 2011 Mesa mulitwatt against my revision g two channel rectifier that has been modded to revision C specs. All of the videos of the mulitwatt are beyond impressive and sound great, however in person I was not impressed at all with this mulitwatt. It was very bright and very fizzy, much more than my g/revision C modded rectifier. It was so fizzy and nothing we could do would dial it out without making the amp muddy. We even swapped power tubes to make sure that wasn’t an issue, but didn’t get into swapping preamp tubes. Is this normal or was it possibly just the amp?

Mine isn't fizzy at all. Can't speak for rev c but for rev f and g I preferred my multiwatt.
This is what makes me really curious. All the ones I’ve watched demos of are not as well and sound amazing. This one was extremely fizzy in comparison to my G/C recto. Enough so to really put us off. What year model is yours?

This is what makes me really curious. All the ones I’ve watched demos of are not as well and sound amazing. This one was extremely fizzy in comparison to my G/C recto. Enough so to really put us off. What year model is yours?
Mine is 2012, i found it can get fizzy with the wrong settings ( any rectifier really ) but once you dial it in, there is no fizz. Have you tried zero treble and adding in just presence?

Mine is 2012, i found it can get fizzy with the wrong settings ( any rectifier really ) but once you dial it in, there is no fizz. Have you tried zero treble and adding in just presence?
Yep, and also tried zero presence and adjusted treble to taste. At any point the fizz went away the amp was to wooly to be used. I have owned a Roadster, three channel g and a rectoverb before the current revision g/c I own now, so I have had a good deal of experience with rectos before. This honestly reminded me more of the three channel revision G. It could get very fizzy but this seemed even worse honestly nothing like the demos out there.

My buddy has a MW Dual and it kills. it‘s no more fizzy than any other Recto when set up improperly. I’ve also got a G/C modded Recto (Triple) that’s an incredible amp, and the MW Dual held it’s own in comparison much better than I expected it to.

My buddy has a MW Dual and it kills. it‘s no more fizzy than any other Recto when set up improperly. I’ve also got a G/C modded Recto (Triple) that’s an incredible amp, and the MW Dual held it’s own in comparison much better than I expected it to.
This is what concerns me that something was/is wrong with the amp. Everything I’ve read and heard suggest it should really be comparable to the G/C modded recto, and it wasn’t close, not even in the same ballpark. My hopes was that it would be and I could finally get that amp with a great clean.

Maybe it’s the preamp tubes? Try changing those out and see what happens. If it’s the same, then there’s something going on with his amp. I wouldn’t let this influence your decision to get a MW though, because they are killers.

I had a 2015 MW Dual and if treble was above 10 ' o'clock it could get fizzy. Try an mxr 10 band in the loop and suck out the 8 and 16 khz. When I did this in conjunction with treble really low and with a boost it was a beast to be reckoned with. If I could have gotten a little faster attack, that amp would have been a long term keeper...voicing was so gnarly and menacing.

Back