Mesa Rectifier: ultimate 2ch vs 3ch comparison

Lasse Lammert

So there's a ton of talk about the differences between the 2ch and the 3ch Rectifiers and their different revisions... but are those heads REALLY as different as the forum hype wants you to believe? Here's a back to back comparison of my RevF 2 channel and my 3 channel heads (pre Multi-Watt). These do not have the same tubes in them (same type, different brands), so bear in mind that some of the (IMO already minor) differences come from the different tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCxV7CSE7U0

The difference on this end seems extremely negligible to me :dunno: Clips are clips, so maybe the difference is more pronounced in the room. More of a feel thing? Cool clip regardless, thanks!

I recently picked up a MW Recto and can't say I have any desire to try an older one. This amp kicks major ass :rock:

Good, more mark amps for me. I'm sure a older triple 2ch amp is better. The difference would'nt be negleable and you would end up selling your multi watt.

2 channel had a smidge more bass and a smidge less treble/cut/bite. All seem 3 db or less. Could easily post eq to be IDENTICAL.

both sound really good and indeed differences are very subtle. I really like Mesa amps and currently have a few, including some models that are very desirable according to forums and I can attest that there is a lot of so called hype. If you get a Mk II/III/IV or any dual/triple rec you will have a great amp - don't worry about what revision, transformer etc etc. There are obviously some differences in sound between revisions but IMO they are all equally good, just slightly different.

I had both a Rev F with the Mark III transformer and a Roadster.

With the effects loop bypassed I could dial in the Roadster to sound more or less like the Rev F but I couldn’t dial in the Rev F to sound like the Roadster (Roadster had more low end on tap).

The biggest difference was the tubes. The Rev F still had Mesa Russian 2s (EHX) in the preamp, which were brighter and more distorted than the JJs the Roadster came with. The EHX had more of the cold, industrial vibe I associate with the 90’s Recto sound. The JJs rolled off some highs and had more mids and compression than the EHX.

With the effects loop engaged they both kind of suck, but they sound compleletly different. The Rev F being pretty muffled, and the Roadster getting boomy and muddy on the low end.

This of course ignores channel cloning as that was unique to the two channels.

Back