Metal guys using passive PUs ‘?’

Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient into Helix or boosted 6505
Great clarity and note definition still pretty aggressive

Bare knuckles BlackHawk (alnico) into Helix or boosted 6505
Basically sounds like an active but feel like passive, win/win situation.

I been using Dimarzio X2N for years and simply love it. I have it in 5 of my guitars.
Really gets the clarity and bite. Actually stumbled upon it by accident. :LOL: :LOL:

Pushead":2cvbqz1u said:
DiMarzio Norton, so around 12. No boosts, just amp gain, and less gain than you'd think.
Same here, had it both in a Les Paul and a Charvel So-Cal Superstrat. That Les Paul has now an AT-1.

Currently 0 guitars with active pups (save a Cort bass with Bartolini MKII's).
Super Distortion (2x), Norton, AT-1, ToneZone, Custom-5 & Custom/59 Hybrid is what's in my gigging/high-gain use guitars.

Especially the Norton a wonder. Harmonics, tight, but with character and good punch. The pickup that the JB aspires to be.

Duncan Distortion into all my amps... Marshall, Mesa, Diezel, Laney, whatever. Favorite pickup of all time.

^^^
Recently switched to a DD and I agree its badass! Having said that I'll be putting the Painkiller back in that guitar. Its just everything the DD is but faster tracking, tighter, more defined, and with more punch to palm mutes and single notes.

I find the eq of the two very similar. The DD may have a tad more in the low mids, but the PK gets the nod in the low end department. Both have ripping upper mids, but the PK's are more open and crunchy compared to the compressed nature of the DD. I find the highs more pleasing with the DD which is probably attributed to the compression vs. the more open nature of the PK.

There are definite advantages with the DD for me such as the amount of compression which makes it a bit more forgiving. The PK can be so damn unforgiving because of its articulation, but the clarity, aggression and balls that bridge is capable of are addictive. If you have the chops, its AMAZING for all things metal.

All just my personal experience of course.

Depends on the amp... A lot of my high-gainers I prefer to use moderate or even lower output pups. Why push the signal into the amp when then amp's preamp section is already set up to step it up and compress the shit out of it?? I like it sounding musical, clear and with definition and articulation - not like a wall of thick gushing fuzz. Depends a lot on the amp, but overall, the highest output pups I have are the BKP MiracleMans, and oddly enough, I only like them in low-gain amp applications.

Too much output, too much gain, fucking child's play (not the Chucky variety either :LOL: :LOL: )

Hear your strings, hear your notes, don't tolerate slop, and remember, what it sounds like in the room ain't what it sounds like on mic. Gain ain't yer friend in the recording world or even "good practising" world.

2 cents, YMMV.

Now get those punks off my lawn :LOL: :LOL:

Mailman1971":8gmrt6gw said:
I been using Dimarzio X2N for years and simply love it. I have it in 5 of my guitars.
Really gets the clarity and bite. Actually stumbled upon it by accident. :LOL: :LOL:
Chuck Schuldner R.I.P. used them too and no one can have a more brutal tone than Chuck did :rawk:

exo-metal":2lykoaad said:
Mailman1971":2lykoaad said:
Chuck Schuldner R.I.P. used them too and no one can have a more brutal tone than Chuck did :rawk:

R.I.P. Chuck :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

MetalHeadMike":3pbkdco9 said:
exo-metal":3pbkdco9 said:
Mailman1971":3pbkdco9 said:

R.I.P. Chuck :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Exactly brother, nobody can out-heavy the Chuck :thumbsup:

I knew chuck was the singer/guitarist for Death. I didnt realize he died so young from cancer, 34. Jesus christ.

Another who is missed, glad I was able to see him live. I have seen many who thought they were heavy but the Chuck was the definition of heavy. So brutal...

If you guys haven't checked out Gruesome please do yourselves a favor :rock: Check out Savage Land!

Fuck me, I've been waiting and waiting, and it looks like their new album is here :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

https://gruesomedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/

Holy shit this new tune fucking kills :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

These fucking guys are death metal :rock: :rock:

Chuck's gotta be smiling out there somewhere hearing a band in today's scene doing deathmetal true and proud :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back